DFH 60Min IPA Clone Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freyguy

Reaction score
I got a bunch of beer making stuff for Christmas and I stepped up to doing full extract boils. My first beer was a 60min clone from the book Extreme Brewing.

Recipe:
6 gallon boil
6oz British Amber (Steep at 150 for 15min)
7 pounds light dry extract
1/2 oz Warrior (Add over 60 mins)
1/2 oz Simcoe (Add over 60 mins)
1/2 oz Amarillo (Add over 60 mins)
1/2 oz Amarillo (End of Boil)
Wyeast 1187 (I used WLP005)
1 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop)
1/2 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop)
OG: 1.064 (Mine was 1.062)
FG: 1.017 (Mine was 1.014)

This was also my first beer I was going to keg. I force carbed it by shaking at 30psi, turning down to serving pressure, then shook at 30psi again a few hours later. I did this in the morning and was drinking it later that night (Impatient :D ). The first taste was great!!! I couldn't believe how close this is to the real thing. I'm extremely happy with this one. Very hoppy aroma, pleasant citrus flavors, everything a guy could want. It was a bit hazy the first day, but it's really starting to clear well. I'm also playing around with the carb level because my regulator isn't worth a crap in the fridge. The gauge is way off. The only thing that I might change is going to extra light extract if I was worried about making it exactly like 60min. It's just a touch to dark, almost like 90min. Here's a pic:

60minclone.jpg

I was just really excited about this one and wanted to share. I figured you guys would listen. :mug:

Wow- that's really nice. My AG version is being dryhopped in secondary right now, and I'm probably going to bottle it next week. That's a great picture- thanks for sharing it with us.

How did you go about spacing out your hop additions? did you build a Zopinator! or did you do it over set intervals?

I just got this book as a gift and I can't WAIT to make a DFH 60min clone.

I used all pellets on this one. Was kinda a mess in the secondary. Actually, I had 2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks secondary. I think it was a bit slow due to the temp in my basement. After vigirous fermentation stopped, it went from about 70 down to about 66. When I put it into the secondary and dry hopped, I didn't use a hop bag and just gently agitated it without splashing. I did this about twice a day for a week to get the hop particles to sink. Most of them did, but there were still some on top. I used a big nylon fine grain bag over my autosiphon so I didn't get any in my keg. I lost about 1.5" or so of beer on the bottom doing it this way though. Kind of a catch 22 because it's a pita to get the hop bag in the secondary, and harder to get it out. So either way, it's gonna be tricky.

No Zopinator here....just broke the hops down to 15min intervals and threw in a pelet every few seconds. Kinda a pain, but it paid off. I looked for the zopinator plans, but didn't find them online. It's not so bad though, one hand on a beer, and the other tossing in hops. :D

Good luck to all brewing it. I'm sure it will be one that dissapears fast. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

I've been wanting to give that recipe a try (and some of the others in that book).

Do they lend themselves to a 2.5 gallon boil followed by a top-off to 5 g? I know, I know, hop utilization this and hop attenuation that, but has anyone tried it and/or modified the recipe for this method?

ECODork, "hop utilization this / that".... well that is what this beer is ALL about. I think thats a requirement on this one, full 5 gallon boil. Whats the point of doing a DFH clone without full hop utilization? :)

Thanks for the link to the plans. I'll have to look into building it.

As far as a 2.5 gallon boil, I'm sure it could be done, but you would probably have to almost double the hops to account for hop utilization. It's kinda tricky to figure out too because of the continual hopping. Otherwise, I could just punch it into BeerSmith to figure it out. Maybe there is an equation out there somewhere that says 1oz to 5gal or 1.75 to 2.5gal or something similar. I know when I did my Amarillo Pale, it called for 1oz amarillo additions, and I had to do 1.88 oz additions to my 3gal boil.

Maybe this link will help. Too much math for me this late at night. :drunk:
http://www.realbeer.com/hops/research.html

That beer looks great!
I have a similar attempt in work right now, about to transfer to secondary. I didn't build a device to dump the hops. I picked up one of these pill holders at the drugstore. It has 28 little compartments with a flip top on each compartment. I weighed out the hop additions on a gram scale ahead of time and stuffed each addition into one of the compartments. I then labled each compartment with the appropriate boil time. I was jumping up and down every 2.5 minutes to dump the hop ration, so at least I didn't get bored during the boil. My brew was a partial extract as well, but all of the LME went in at the end, so the boil gravity should have been low. (Copied from the White Labs San Diego IPA recipe) I had read how the wort gravity effected hop uptake during boil, but had not found a reference to how the wort volume effects it. Can someone point me to a source on that? I am pretty new to this as well.

Right on, I didn't mean hop utilization wasn't relevant, just that I'm aware of the issue when changing your water volumes and if anyone had success with a half-boil.

From what little I know, doubling the hops sounds kinda reasonable. I'll check that website and I'll compare my past recipes with some full boils of the same/similar brews and see if I can't figure it out. :fro:

Rook said:
ECODork, "hop utilization this / that".... well that is what this beer is ALL about. I think thats a requirement on this one, full 5 gallon boil. Whats the point of doing a DFH clone without full hop utilization? :)

Back