American Wheat Beer Orange American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeerguy

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 68 Degrees
Tasting Notes
Crisp and refreshing with just enough Orange to accent.
Orange American Wheat
Brew Type: All Grain
Date: 7/25/2010
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
Brewer: Anthony Vaccani
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 6.27 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Actual Efficiency: 80.95 %
wheat.jpg

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.26 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 42.11 %
4.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 42.11 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [3.90 %] (60 min) Hops 13.7 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [3.90 %] (30 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc (optional)
1.00 items Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 - 3.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc (I used fresh Orange Zest - Adjust according to taste)
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast

Beer Profile
Measured Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM (3.0-6.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 24.2 IBU (15.0-30.0 IBU)
Alpha Acid Units: 7.8 AAU
Actual Alcohol by Volume: 5.87 %
Actual Calories: 243 cal/pint

Mash Profile Name:
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Mash Tun Weight: 6.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 9.50 lb Mash PH: 5.2 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 175.0 F
Sparge Water: 3.85 gal

Mash In Add 14.25 qt of water at 164.0 F 154.0 F 75 min

This is a fantastic brew! It is a very easy drinker. Alot of my BMC drinking friends really enjoyed this. This would be great without the Orange Zest as well.

Enjoy!

Gorgeous beer! Thanks for posting this.

I brewed something somewhat similar and loved it. Recipe and tasting notes here.

Cheers,
TB

Thank you for the kind words :mug:

I was looking at your recipe and I noticed that you had a knockout hop addition as well as orange zest addition. How did those work together? I was thinking about a either 5 min or ko addition with this recipe, but I didn't want the hops to have to compete with the orange. Did the hops mask the orange at all?

Thank you for the kind words :mug:

I was looking at your recipe and I noticed that you had a knockout hop addition as well as orange zest addition. How did those work together? I was thinking about a either 5 min or ko addition with this recipe, but I didn't want the hops to have to compete with the orange. Did the hops mask the orange at all?

I would say that the late addition of citrusy and noble hops complimented the orange zest more than competed with it. It was a near perfect amalgamation of flavors in a summer wheat beer that makes you beg for more. Next time I might skip the noble hops in the flame-out addition and stick strictly with cascade (or other NW American citrus hop).

Hope this helps,
TB

Delicious looking beer. Wouldn't happen to have a partial mash conversion for this as I am not set up yet for AG.

I am sorry but I do not. I am sure someone else on here can give you a good PM conversion. I have never done a PM before. :mug:

I would say that the late addition of citrusy and noble hops complimented the orange zest more than competed with it. It was a near perfect amalgamation of flavors in a summer wheat beer that makes you beg for more. Next time I might skip the noble hops in the flame-out addition and stick strictly with cascade (or other NW American citrus hop).

Hope this helps,
TB

Sure does help! I might try a late addition of some cascade to see how it goes.

How many oranges did you have to zest to get 1.5 ounces?

I ended up using 4. I was a little nervous that I'd dig a tad too deep and get some of the bitter pith, so I played it safe and used an extra orange. I am sure you could get away with using 3 or even 2 oranges if you are careful not to zest them too deep.

I am very new to brewing (2 batches both "kits") and my friends and I are looking to do a slightly more complex recipe like this but perhaps with a slight vanilla flavor. when would be the best times to add the orange zest and/or vanilla beans? And where are the best places to order the hops or powdered malts? Unfortunately we don't have any brewmaking stores around here to ask and have to order any of our hops and malts online.

rooner86 said:
I am very new to brewing (2 batches both "kits") and my friends and I are looking to do a slightly more complex recipe like this but perhaps with a slight vanilla flavor. when would be the best times to add the orange zest and/or vanilla beans? And where are the best places to order the hops or powdered malts? Unfortunately we don't have any brewmaking stores around here to ask and have to order any of our hops and malts online.

While I question your intent to add vanilla to this recipe, I'll still help you out. If you are set on giving this some vanilla flavor, I would do it in the secondary fermenter. Take 2 whole beans and slice them open lengthwise. Try to expose as much of the insides as possible, and toss them in the secondary. Rack your beer on them, and taste it periodically to tell when the right amount of vanilla flavor is present.

As for the Orange zest, I add mine at flameout. Make sure you don't get any of the white pith; you just want the outer peel.

As far as buying ingredients, that will depend. Check out Midwest Supplies, Northern Brewer, and Austin Homebrew Supply for starters. If you find yourself brewing a lot more in the future, you might want to consider buying hops in bulk from places like Hops Direct, or Wholesale Hops.

TB

I've been looking for a beer like this ever since enjoying a great tasting wheat with orange undertones last week. Would you say the body is a little more heavy than the average American wheat? Kinda looks like it might carry a little more mouth feel which would be perfect for my liking.

Anyway, I mainly wanted to know if you have tried any variants to the original recipe and if so, would you recommend any tweaks? If not I'm going to give this a shot as is, looks awesome.

Is there any specific reason to throw the zest into the boil, besides sanitation? I was thinking about throwing the zest either into the primary or adding it into the primary a week or so after the fermentation has slowed.

Is there any specific reason to throw the zest into the boil, besides sanitation? I was thinking about throwing the zest either into the primary or adding it into the primary a week or so after the fermentation has slowed.

I decided to make this and I used a metal strainer dipped in the boil kettle to keep the orange peels from going all over the place figuring the sanitized idea was probably a good one. I then added them to the primary right at the start. Just moving to cold crash right now, FG came out lower than expected at 1.006. Anyway, if the SG sample is any indication, this beer is NOT going to last long. Will report back with final results.

I decided to make this and I used a metal strainer dipped in the boil kettle to keep the orange peels from going all over the place figuring the sanitized idea was probably a good one. I then added them to the primary right at the start. Just moving to cold crash right now, FG came out lower than expected at 1.006. Anyway, if the SG sample is any indication, this beer is NOT going to last long. Will report back with final results.

Any update on how it turned out? Would like to hear your feedback. Cheers!

I was thinking about making this but unfortunately I don't have the equipment for AG. Would it be too much to ask for a conversion of the recipe for extract brewing?

I was thinking about making this but unfortunately I don't have the equipment for AG. Would it be too much to ask for a conversion of the recipe for extract brewing?

Not at all. It won't be 100% the same, but this will get you very close.

Replace:
Rice Hulls
2-Row
Wheat Malt
Flaked Wheat

(Exclude the 5.2 Mash Stabilizer as well)

With:

6lbs Dry Wheat Extract
or
7.5lbs Liquid Wheat Extract

If possible, I would steep the Munich Malt in 1 gallon of 152 degree water for about 1/2 hour. That will get you a little more flavor. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, you can find some Munich Extract and sub it out as well.

Hope that helps!

Have you tried step mashing this recipe? Was wondering if it would change the whole beer or would come out close the same. Seems a little light on the grain to me so was wondering if stepped would it render more eficiency and possibly stronger beer and darker color.

Have you tried step mashing this recipe? Was wondering if it would change the whole beer or would come out close the same. Seems a little light on the grain to me so was wondering if stepped would it render more eficiency and possibly stronger beer and darker color.

I haven't tried a step mash with this recipe. I am already getting over 80% eff. and this beer comes out at almost 6%ABV as it is. (5.87% to be exact)

I am sure if you did a step mash you'd get a little bit more conversion. I think the color would pretty much remain the same though. If you were going for a stronger ABV without increasing the color much, add a 1/2lb-3/4lb of corn sugar. That may dry it out a tad, but if you did a step mash, just raise the sacc. rest to 156 degrees. :mug:

Newbeerguy said:
I haven't tried a step mash with this recipe. I am already getting over 80% eff. and this beer comes out at almost 6%ABV as it is. (5.87% to be exact)

I am sure if you did a step mash you'd get a little bit more conversion. I think the color would pretty much remain the same though. If you were going for a stronger ABV without increasing the color much, add a 1/2lb-3/4lb of corn sugar. That may dry it out a tad, but if you did a step mash, just raise the sacc. rest to 156 degrees. :mug:

Well i brewed this yesterday. Not sure if i did something wrong but wanted 10 gal batch so doubled recipe but to land at 1.055 start i could only get 5 gal out of it. The color was real light also. Not sure what happened here

Figured out what happened. When i baught the grains they left out the white wheat malt. I thaught the grains were light. I should of checked the reciept before i left the store. Next time ill have them put the grains in seperate bags so i can double check.

Figured out what happened. When i baught the grains they left out the white wheat malt. I thaught the grains were light. I should of checked the reciept before i left the store. Next time ill have them put the grains in seperate bags so i can double check.

Sorry to hear that allclene. I am sure it will still come out drinkable, not so much a wheat anymore, but an orange infused pale ale.

Still keep us posted and let us know how it comes along.

Well after 3 days in fermentor yeast is going wild its perking like crazy. Sneaked a sample its real hoppy still. Hope that mellows when finished. Just have to see how it is in a few weeks ill keep you posted.

Well after 3 days in fermentor yeast is going wild its perking like crazy. Sneaked a sample its real hoppy still. Hope that mellows when finished. Just have to see how it is in a few weeks ill keep you posted.

Sounds like it is comming along nicely. I am sure the hoppyness (word?) will mellow out with some time. Without any late hope additions, the orange should really shine though. :mug:

Newbeerguy said:
Sounds like it is comming along nicely. I am sure the hoppyness (word?) will mellow out with some time. Without any late hope additions, the orange should really shine though. :mug:

Got this one in the keg and it is somewhat hoppier than hoped and doesnt have that wheat notes it should have probably due to the grain that was missing. Its drinkable though gonna redo this one real soon and with all the grain this time

Got this one in the keg and it is somewhat hoppier than hoped and doesnt have that wheat notes it should have probably due to the grain that was missing. Its drinkable though gonna redo this one real soon and with all the grain this time

Yeah without any of the wheat malt it won't have the wheat flavor you were looking for....that's a shame they shorted you. If you feel that it is still too hoppy for your tastes, feel free to cut back the 30 min addition to 1/2oz or 1/4oz. Perhaps it's the lack of wheat malt that is allowing more of the hops to come through, but I never felt this beer was really hoppy. But it wouldn't hurt anything to cut back on that addition.

Newbeerguy said:
Yeah without any of the wheat malt it won't have the wheat flavor you were looking for....that's a shame they shorted you. If you feel that it is still too hoppy for your tastes, feel free to cut back the 30 min addition to 1/2oz or 1/4oz. Perhaps it's the lack of wheat malt that is allowing more of the hops to come through, but I never felt this beer was really hoppy. But it wouldn't hurt anything to cut back on that addition.

Thanks i think it was due to not having the grains im gonna brew this again later this month after my prickly pear honey mead is done ferminting. Im thinking it should turn out right this time.

Made this and went from grain to glass in 3 weeks. Thanks for the recipe, it's delicious! Can't wait to taste it in another week.

image-2526119343.jpg

image-4206607328.jpg

Sokol21 said:
Made this and went from grain to glass in 3 weeks. Thanks for the recipe, it's delicious! Can't wait to taste it in another week.

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. Cant beat grain to glass in under a month. Cheers

Sorry if this information has already been posted but I couldn't find it. How long would you recommend leaving this in the primary and secondary? Or would you recommend using only a primary for this brew? Thanks

Sorry if this information has already been posted but I couldn't find it. How long would you recommend leaving this in the primary and secondary? Or would you recommend using only a primary for this brew? Thanks

Don't be sorry, all questions are welcomed! I typically just do a primary only with this beer. I let it sit for about 3 weeks. With this recipe having a large percentage of wheat, it will stay a tad hazy even if aged in a secondary. :mug:

For reasons too many to list, I had to keg this today. I force carbed and pulled a pint.

This is a GREAT BEER! I will definitely be doing 5 gal batches this summer (and let it go for 3 weeks too). :mug:

OA.jpg

Back