strawberry hard lemonaid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perschml

Reaction score
I read the skeeter pee recipe and like it but I like strawberry lemonaid better... So my thoughts are to get 2-3 pounds of frozen strawberries and pure them, add sugar and put them into gallon jugs. I would then pitch a pack of wine yeast on to each and let them get going. Once they were going well I'd split them into 3 gallon jugs and start adding some lemon juice to essentially use the strawberry puree as my starters. Once they had a decent amount of lemon juice in them I would rack them to a carboy and follow the skeeter pee recipe from there on out.

My question is if I need to reduce the amount of lemon juice and sugar to compensate for the strawberry starters or just follow it out from there? I didn't really want to make a real high ABV but I don't know how I would figure the OG in this "2 stage" fermentation...

Does this sound like it should work and or any suggestions on figuring the ABV???

I would reduce the final sugar by the same amount you use in the starter... if you're truly starting with a "strawberry wine". Depending on how much you mix up you could probably do away the last bottle of lemon juice.
I wouldn't worry about splitting into 3 gallon jugs... once you get them going... mix up the Skeeter Pee according to recipe, and just dump your strawberry wine into the skeeter pee primary. Then top up to the full batch size with the necessary water.

Prepare them as two batches and combine during fermentation. Divide the original recipe to make the percentage of lemon you want and devide the strawberry wine recipe to make the percentage of volume you want. If you have 2 gallons of strawberry wine and 3 gallons of lemon just use averages if 2 gal is 1.07 and 3 is 1.08 (long addition below)

1.07+
1.07+
1.08+
1.08+
1.08= 5.38

5.38/5= 1.076 OG.

Back