Question about shipping/entering beer competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't really know which thread to put this post in, but here it goes.

Just called UPS to find out what it would cost to send four bottles of beer to a competition about 700 miles away. They said since it's beer they have to go through a secondary freight company and shipping alone would be $27.

That price seems a bit crazy to me. Since these are unmarked beer bottles, any thoughts on me declaring these as soda and shipping them that way? The cost if I do that is only $12.

It's fifteen bucks difference. I spend about $50 total to enter a competition. When the medals come back in the mail it makes it worthwhile.

Your mistake was mentioning they were beer bottles. Just properly package them so they don't break and declare them as "Glass" Fragile, I call mine "art". This works for all shippers including the USPS which will not ship beer or alcohol at all. Never had a problem and no one new any different.

Yeah, I have had success calling the "yeast samples". Only one time someone at usps said "wont they blow up" I said no because they were currently inactive but they continued questioning so I went to a different post office and had no problems. I recently shipped 4 bottles to the east coast and it was about 17 bucks.

I've sent yeast samples from Canada to the US via Canada Post, which at some point must turn into USPS and there was no problem. I would have gone through customs too, so perhaps that's the best way to do it successfully.

It's fifteen bucks difference. I spend about $50 total to enter a competition. When the medals come back in the mail it makes it worthwhile.

Confident much? lol

Yeah, just ship it well packed and don't mention beer.

Back