Yeast Starter For Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericmunley

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing my second homebrew tomorrow, an Imperial Stout. The kit from Northern Brewer came with Wyeast #1728 Scottish Ale Yeast. I have activated/slapped the yeast already and it has ballooned according to plan.

Will pitching the yeast "slap pack" as is be enough or should I make a yeast starter. The Imperial Stout is supposed to be pretty strong, so I want to have enough yeast cells.

Thanks for your help.

No, one slap pack won't ideal...especially for a RIS. What is your estimated gravity? This calculator can be helpful:

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

If you pitch with one pack, you'll be underpitching....which can lead to greater lag times, slower ferments, and for your final gravity to not be as low. However, underpitching isn't the end of the world.

make a 1L starter
1l water, 100g DME a day before pitching

a starter costs less than $2 to make, and another pack costs $5-7

make a 1L starter
1l water, 100g DME a day before pitching

a starter costs less than $2 to make, and another pack costs $5-7

So a 1L starter for a 5 gallon batch of imperial stout is going to be enough?
1L water
1 cip DME
1/2 tsp nutrient

Is this going to do it?

I would do 100g of DME instead of 1 cup, but I am not a fan of volumetric measurements. (In fact, I put a water cup on my scale and fill to 1000g instead of measuring a liter.)

Back