When is the latest you have made your FIRST hop addition, and how did it turn out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
I brewed a Pale a few weekends ago which was my first brew day with only "late" addition hops. I started with 20 minutes to go. It got me wondering:

What is the latest YOU have made your first addition? And how did that particular beer turn out?

Curious if anyone has done a dry hop only!

With a lot of pale Alex's I like to "hop burst." you can find more info on the technique. Lends to a lot of aroma and flavor without the bitterness. Good for lower gravity brews IMO.

Cyclman said:
Hop bursting and late additions are great for flavor / odor, but you need some early hops for bitterness.

That's technically not true. I forget who it was, but the BN interviewed a pro brewer who had the IBUs measured in a lab and found that even whirlpool hops yield measurable IBUs. Of course, it requires a huge amount more hops to get bittering from late than from early additions.

I hopped at 15 and found that the bitterness was very soft.
An oz of zythos at 15,10,5 and at 70+ ibu it was the strangest thing ever

I made a 10 gallon batch of IPA, with 9oz at 15 minutes and 6oz at 5 minutes (Simcoe, Amarillo, & Chinook). Bitterness was pronounced but very smooth. That beer took a 2nd place BOS out of 518 beers at Dominion cup last year.
Last week I made a pale ale with 9oz hops at 5 minutes only. Jury is still out on that beer...

Back