co2 and krausen in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Accordionbrew

Reaction score
I am working with a Unibroue Blanche de Chambly Clone. I followed all recipe instructions, fermented in the primary for 9 days. There was still some Krausen on the top but the Gravity reading was dead on so I transferred to a secondary. Four days in the secondary and the airlock is releasing bubbles around once a minute and it looks like there was a layer of Krausen that had crawled up the side of the 5g secondary but has since subsided. Are these bad signs? I took another gravity reading and it is at 1.011, right where the recipe is calling for. It fermented at between 68-75 and has been within the same range in the secondary. I was planning on bottling this Sunday but should I wait longer?

No need to worry, probably just shook the yeast up a bit from there mid night snack. The act of transferring to secondary allowed them to get up and eat a little bit more. I had this happen to an IPA I placed in secondary a when I first started brewing I freaked out, everything turned out okay. Since then I no longer secondary anything and just let it sit on top of the yeast cake for 3 to 4 weeks.

Back