Recommendations for next brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoopidwon

Reaction score
I have 3 batches going, (pipeline looking good) I wanna do a light colored beer next, all the others are fairly dark (even my hefe??) I want something that is clean and moderatly hoppy... notting looking for a real big beer ABV here not as important as color and taste on this one....Not set up to do a lager, prefer extract recipes as I dont have all my all grain set up either.

ps I dont want a commercial beer just a very presentable lightly colored beer.

Thanks in advance.

I would do an american pale ale. Can be clean and moderately hoppy but will be amber in color not light like you said.

Many of the typical lighter beers would need to be lagered.

A late extract addition will help some of your color, as it will prevent caramelization. Raising your gravity by doing a long partial mash with corn and rice, and/or by adding adjunct sugars/syrups etc. at the end of the boil will not darken your beer and will allow you to use fewer ingredients that contribute to color.

Don't go by the color in the carboy, though. Figure somewhere closer to the color in the hydro test jar, but don't get discouraged until it's in the glass.

American pale or blonde ale. I agree with the last response - add up to half of your extract with about 15 minutes to go in the boil.

Sorry berner but please explain the tang???

i was planning on a late addition on dme to lighten it... would a blonde ale have the hop flavor im looking for or would i be better off just doing an american ale. I also found a Yakima Blone on here that looked good...any one tried it

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.030
Final Gravity: 1.006
IBU: 16
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days, 56-62 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days, last 3 at 48 F
Tasting Notes: A very crisp, refreshing brew. Balanced bitterness and dry hop goodness!

Grains:

.5 lb American Crystal/Caramel 10L
.5 lb Dextrine Malt (CaraPils)

Extract:

4 lbs Extra-lite Dry Malt Extract

Hops:

.25 oz. Yakima Goldings (4.5% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. Yakima Goldings (4.5% AA, 45 min.)
.25 oz. Yakima Goldings (4.5% AA, 30 min.)
.25 oz. Yakima Goldings (4.5% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Yakima Goldings (4.5% AA, 0 min.)
.5 oz Yakima Goldings Dry Hop in Secondary

Procedure:

Place grains in 6.5 gallons of cool water and raise the temperature to 150 F. Turn off and steep for 30 minutes. Discard grains and proceed with boil.

Notes:

Gelatin was added to the 2ndary, 3 days before bottling. The temp was brought down to 48F
Bottld with 4.75 oz of Cane Sugar

Sorry berner but please explain the tang???

A lot of extract brewers report an undesirable flavor described as "tangy" or "twangy" in their beer. Some of this comes from caramelization of the extract in the boil and is mitigated by a late extract addition and/or a full boil.

I also found a Yakima Blone on here that looked good...any one tried it

Ofcouse i tried it, it's my recipe :ban:! I think that this beer is a fantastic base for whatever you want. That said, I did a late extract addition so the hops are going to be utilized more. This beer is hop flavorful, with a good hop aroma, and more importantly i would say bitter but not IPA bitter.

You won't be disappointed.

FishinDave I was hoping you would chime in on this, I'm not really hop savy, I am not familiar with the Yakima hop, what should I expect? and if I cant find it locally is there a close substitute?

Back