5.5 gallon glass fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerfan

Reaction score
Well lets just say when I tried to brew a full 5 gallon batch it blew my airlock right off of the fermentor. In order for this to be usable and not have that happen I need to cut my boil volume down to about 4.5 gallon. Can I do that and then top off with sterilized water when I bottle? What kind of recipe adjustments would I need to make to account for this?

thanks
Dan

I wouldn't top up after fermentation. You're flirtin' with disaster there and it's not going to taste the same as if you fermented the entire volume. You need to just pick up a larger primary and use that carboy for dryhopping.

get some fermcap (foam control drops). that will allow you to ferment a full 5 gals without any blowoff worries.

Thanks for the fermcap suggestion. Looks like there is a few different types that do the same thing. Will call the local store tomorrow and if they do not have it I will order it. On vacation next week and want to do a double batch.

Thanks again
Dan

Back