Noob Hop Grower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realestatecat

Reaction score
So, I have placed an early order for my hop rhizomes and after thinking about it a bit, I was wondering which varieties I should be growing.

How much yield should you get ballpark from each variety?

I have ordered Cascade, Chinook, and Crystal.

I am planning on ordering more, but which would be some staple varieties?

Where do you live? Cascade seems to be hardy in nearly any location, but some others might be more difficult to get to grow and produce.

The best of my three first year Cascades gave me enough to cover a small plate. The other two didnt' even flower. Granted, this is not normal, but possible. I would not count on getting anything the first year, and you won't be dissapointed. Then again, you might get enough to brew one batch. Maybe.

That's odd. Most places don't even start excepting orders til around February. And that's usually a special time for previous customers.

Like Homer said, a lot may depend on your location but, any of the American breeds should do well. The German, English, or Continentals may be a bit more finicky with climate. They may thrive growth wise but just not produce many useable flowers.

Best bet is to buy your favorites and just try. Chances are, you will lose some through the "learning curve" or due to good ole Mother Nature.

Some has posted a list (but I can't find it now) of the various types and the expected yield. I remember cascade was "high yield" and hallertau was "low yield". My plants are only two years old, but that was my experience with them, too.

I got more than 16 (dried) ounces off of my cascades this year, and 6 ounces (dried) from the hallertauer.

It depends on what kind of beer you are brewing. For me I would just buy all of the hops that start with the letter 'C.' Those are the one's my LHBS always runs out of.

Back