Wild Yeast Capture/Propagation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
I just caught some local yeast using a 1.030 wort. I've got a few bottles that have krausen waste stuck in a ring on the top and smell quite good. Now that I have a few local strains, I was trying to figure out how to harvest and propagate it.

Right now I'm thinking I'll swirl it up, grab it with a loop and streak a plate, harvest the good colonies and then propagate those in 10ml 100ml and 1 liter batches.

Does that make sense? Any better methods? Advice?

Many Thanks!

May my sour beers bless your input! :tank:

Definitely streak a plate. Odds are you have captured many things in that wort. Pick some separate colonies and upscale just like you mentioned. It is best to do it on a log scale 10ml into 100ml into 1L.

Ideally, you should check morphology under a scope. Were you looking for both yeast and bacteria?

I am hoping for yeast but am not opposed to bacteria. good news is I work for a flow microscopy company.....So ya scope work isn't an issue.....

Back