First beer explosion :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDVmnt

Reaction score
I've read about it, but never understood how it could happen. I've brewed over 40 beers I'd say in the past 6-7 years. Brewed a NB Super Alt and their Chinook IPA yesterday. I've been brewing with mostly SF-05 lately. Kind of got complacent with the amount of Krausen it produces. 1-2" tops in a 6.5 gallon carboy.

Went to bed and had foam up to the bottom of the fermenter on the Super Alt. I went with the German Ale yeast this time instead of the dry yeast. Didn't think much of it. Woke up and checked it out. Foam on the ceiling! guess I had that stopper in there good. Sanitized a new stopper/bubbler and it was going to town the second I stuck it back in. Hopefully it didn't catch any nasties. It's in the basement bathroom that doesn't get used so I have that going for me!

Pretty excited to try the super alt. Lots of new hops I haven't used before. Brother was in Dusseldorf playing for the Rhein Fire (NFL Europe) back in the day too. Curious to see if he recognizes the flavor :)

Today is the Smashing pumpkin kit and a Fat Tire clone for a buddy. Bathroom is going to have 6 carboys of bubbling beer after today. I should probably sleep in there :)

I went with the German Ale yeast this time instead of the dry yeast. Didn't think much of it. Woke up and checked it out. Foam on the ceiling!

I had a huge amount of blowoff from German Ale (Wy1007) when I fermented it on the high side (68F) once. That yeast can get pretty active, esp in a high gravity Alt.

Today is the Smashing pumpkin kit and a Fat Tire clone for a buddy. Bathroom is going to have 6 carboys of bubbling beer after today. I should probably sleep in there :)

Sounds like a recipe for asphyxiation on CO2 :) Sure would smell really great for a while though!

Back