Please review my wiring scheme for brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here are my plans for wiring my brew stand. I may hav went a bit overboard on the switches, but wanted to insure the element would not fire without the pump running thats why its inline with the Mash pump switch.

Let me know what you all think.

PID and pump diagram.jpg

Is this a 240VAC circuit or 120VAC? Is your element 240? I'm assuming it is and therefore you are pulling the running current for the element through the PID and the SSR. If your intent is to drive the SSR with the PID, the current should be drawn through the SSR only as it has the high current capability.

If you want to insure the element doesn't fire without the pump, put in a flow switch, unless that is what the switch contacts are before the PID.

Guess I just need a little more detailed drawing??

As drawn, you are not providing any power to your heating element. The SSR is intended to control it, however, you have not illustrated the power source to the SSR and element.

I would also power up the PID independently so that at least you could monitor temperatures.

what you actually want is a 3 way switch between the PID and the pump, so you have pid/on/off. you'll also need power to the pid all the time, and power to the heating element (through the SSR just like a relay it's 2 sets of wires, one for power to the device, one for the power the device is delivering).

that looks better to me :)

dunno if you really need the switch between the SSR and the element... but could be good for a safety issue.

yeah, that switch is not necessary but i wanted to be able to shut the element off if i ever needed to. What i'll probably do is make sure i have wort recirc'ing well before i turn the element on.

that looks better to me :)

dunno if you really need the switch between the SSR and the element... but could be good for a safety issue.

I'm not sure you are achieving your goal of ensuring the element doesn't fire when the pump isn't running. If you want to prevent the element from running when the wort pump is off you should put a relay in line with the element or SSR feed. The relay would be switched by the wort pump current.

yeah, instead of coming off the MAIN power to the ssr, i could pull the power from after the mash pump switch.

I think the manual switch before the element shoul dbe good enough.

I could aslo use a double poll single throw switch. That way when i start the pump i can send a signal to thee ssr.

I'm not sure you are achieving your goal of ensuring the element doesn't fire when the pump isn't running. If you want to prevent the element from running when the wort pump is off you should put a relay in line with the element or SSR feed. The relay would be switched by the wort pump current.

Back