Bad rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrbrew

Reaction score
I bought 5 rhizomes (3 willamette and 2 nugget) from Northwest hops. They came in a ziploc bag with a moist paper towel wrapped around them. I prepped the soil with Kellog Ammend and blood meal. They were planted on 4/30 in mounds 1-2 inches below the top. I have one willamette that has 3 shoots and nothing from the the other 4 rhizomes. All are in the same area, same amount of sunlight, water and all other conditions. I am wondering if maybe I recieved bad rhizomes? I know that different types sprout at different times, but seems like the other willamettes should've sprouted as well. The one that has sprouted did so on 5/7. Any ideas? :confused:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=48424&id=1625527294&l=425a2af93f

Thanks,
Starrbrew

I'd agree. As I recall, the first year I put my hops in, the different rhizomes took different amounts of time to come up. So give it a few more weeks and see what happens. :)

I have the same issue, and the Willamette has been the fastest to emerge, followed by the Cascade. One of my Centennial's is still just a stick :D But it isn't a dry dead stick, it has some flex to it.

It will pop up. These things seem more like weeds than a normal garden plant.

I am just worried that if nothing happens it will be too late to buy/plant new rhizomes. I really want to have a 2nd year harvest next year! I have never been good at patience!

try removing some of the dirt over them. My rhizomes didn't want to sprout 2 inches down last year, but after I put only a half inch to an inch of dirt over them they grew like weeds.

I put in eight varieties (16 plants) this year and I saw a big difference in when they all broke through. I bet they show up, wait it out it hasn’t been very long.

One of the other willamette's popped up yesterday. Still nothing from the last willamette or the 2 nugget. Does anyone know if nugget rhizomes are early, med or late season sprouters?

there is no rhyme or reason as to when different varieties will break ground. my advice is to start drinking heavily. once your headache is gone and you feel like going out to look at them, something will have probably popped up! seriously, just give them some time.

i had to wait almost three weeks for my nugget... my mt. hood took 5 days. they all go at different times... you'll be fine :)

I don't have any experience with those varieties, but the first year the hallertauer was slow. I mean slow, like two months, before it peeked out. Now, it's like a jungle! The cascade was the fastest to show out of the earth, but now it's more of a "medium" emerger, if that makes sense. It's less than half the height of my hallertauer this year, but it'll overtake it soon.

My newest rhizomes are centennial and chinook. The chinook popped out about 3-4 weeks after planting (it's been cool this spring) and nothing from the centennials as of yet.

Even though they aren't poking up through the soil visibly, there is a lot going on under the earth. They get acclimated, and start sending down roots and even start forming the crown, before the show themselves. Once they're established, though, they are aggressive and will really take off.

Still only two willamette have sprouted. Leaving no action from one willamette and 2 nugget.:(

Well I dug up the three that havn't done anything and they are dead.:mad: So looks like next year I'll have 2 second year plants and try 3 new rhizomes.

Dead happens. My Columbus didn't make it this year. I think I'll replace it with a Magnum next Spring.

I had and am having the same issue. I bought 8 rhizomes 2 Zeus, 2 Cascade, 2 Northern Brewer and 2 Fuggles. I planted in mid April and they began sprouting in early May I believe. My zeus were the first to sprout, followed by one cascade. In mid May One Fuggles sprouted. Then nothing. I even dug them up in late May and the rhizomes appeared to not have grown a bit. I reburied them and since then 4 more have sprouted. I have only one cascade that is still yet to break ground.

I just did an extensive search. There are very few Hop Rhizomes out there still and no nugget. Sorry.

My willamette were very fussy growers...even a one year old transplanted crown did not grow very well. Cascade was also slow the first year. One of my willamettes that died this year I replanted and it still didn't come through.

We also have a cool year this time around...temps here in Nor Cal are 20 degrees behind the same time last year.

1 of my nuggets was 4 weeks, 1 was 7 weeks to surface. The cascades were training up a line before the late nugget broke the surface.

I just did an extensive search. There are very few Hop Rhizomes out there still and no nugget. Sorry.

http://www.freshops.com/ is still selling a few diffrent types. I put a few in the ground at the start of the month. I know I'm late, and though we have a longer warm climate, I'm looking to get them off and running mainly for next year. We'll see! I bought on a Friday and they were at my door on Monday.

I panted my cascade hop in april and got nothing from it.... so i feel the pain of anyone whos have emerged!

Well, my to willamete that grew last year a back to life. They each have 5-6 bines about 1/2" - 1" tall. I just got 3 Magnum rhizomes that I'll get in the ground his weekend. :rockin:

I planted the 3 magnum rhizomes on Friday 4-15-2011 and 2 already have bines! :mug:!:ban:!:rockin:!

The first one sprouted yesterday, has 3 bines and the next sprouted today, has 3 bines, so the third should be tomorrow with 3 bines. ;)

I ordered this years rhizomes from http://www.freshops.com/ they were waaayyyy healthier than the place I got my rhizomes from last year (I won't mention their name). Huge, thick lots of shoots or buds whatever you want to call them. So far with my 2 rhizome orders from 2 different places I recomend Fresh Hops.

I will post pics soon.

Back