Better to build or buy a mini-frig kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadking

Reaction score
I have been scouring the market and am in the process of deciding whether it's better to buy a new kegerator or build one from a mini fridge.

Guess it depends on price and what you want it to look like. Essentially a new kegerator is just a mini fridge with the mods already done to it. I have a keezer (that I built), and a Sears kegerator. I love both for what they are. I love the kegerator because of the look. I replaced the single tower with a double and I love the chrome rail that runs along the sides and back. Not sure how easy it would be to get the rail to place on a mini fridge build. That may not even be important to you. You need to figure out how much money you'll have invested in a build and then price a new one, ready out of the box, and see what works best for you.

Kegerators.jpg

I wouldn't mind spending $350 at most on a pre made model if it will fit 2 5 gallons kegs. Can most store bought model accommodate 2?

Both of those look great! I need it to blend with the dinning room also........

Yes, my Sears model will hold 2 cornie kegs (or two sixtels of commercial). They have since changed the kenmore keggerator specs. Mine is probably pushing 8-10 years old. So, I can't gaurantee that the newer ones have the same dimensions. Most Sears keep one of them on the floor. So, worth checking out.

I hear ya about blending in with the room. That's why I had to get a black freezer and keggerator. A happy wifey is a happy....

Back