Chocolate Stout Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBudha

Reaction score
I made a chocolate stout a few weeks ago. I added 8 oz of hershey chocolate to a 5 gal boil. I want to make it really chocolatey so I'm going to add another 8 oz of chocolate my question is can I do this into the bottleing bucket and bottle or does it need to be done in a secondary? I'd like to skip the secondary process and add it right into the bottles.

So....you added straight Hershey bars? I think I would have stuck with cocoa powder or nips. From what I understand there is a lot of fats / sugar / other stuff in processed chocolate bars that I wouldn't really want in the beer.

That being said, I'd add it to secondary so you don't end up with a bunch of sludge in your bottles.

Find chocolate flavoring. Dont use hersheys. You will get the best chocolate taste out of using cocoa baking powder.

If you put it in the bottling bucket you will get a lot of sediment in your bottles. I recommend you put it in a secondary first, let the cocoa flavor get acquainted with your beer and settle.

Also that cocoa powder is going to be pretty bitter. You might want to consider adding 1 lb of lactose to the beer if you haven't already.

I recently brewed my second and third batch of a nice stout I've made before. I thought it could use more of a chocolate flavor or taste. Not knowing how much, I added 1 oz. of cocoa powder during the boil. 1 oz. of cocoa was almost half a coffee cup. You must have emptyed the can. Regardless, since I have two identical 5 gallon batches that were made within two days of each other and I've had to pull the gravity on each and of course tasted both, I can tell you the cocoa added batch has slightly different taste in the uncarbonated form. In the future, I'll add eight ounce of maltidextorse to bring out the chocolate taste and depending on the final flavor, maybe a little more cocoa.

Back