Suggestions for winter boots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
I've never lived north of Atlanta, GA so I have very little experience with really cold weather. But I now visit family in Colorado every year and we go snow skiing for a few days during that visit. I've got all the snow skiing apparel for when I'm ON the slopes but I don't have anything for just general walking around in snow, basically all the time NOT on the slopes.

I thought I was all set on the North Face Chilkats...until I read the reviews. Leaky, uncomfortable, cold...and leaky. Heck my sneakers can do the cold and leaky thing and still be comfortable.

I don't want to skimp on foul-weather apparel but I want quality for my money. Any suggestions on brands, models, and even the 'type' of boot (or shoe) would be helpful and appreciated. I'm in the dark here.:eek:

Is any of this stuff still US-made? A friend who used to work on the Alaskan pipeline said they all wore Sorels (but I think they share the same parent company as North Face). My North Face ski jacket seems fine.

Sorels all the way. I wear them ice fishing and never get cold feet. They're good for anything from -10 and windy all the way up to 45 and walking in three inches of 33 degree slush. If you're planning on walking somewhere, then going inside you'll love the removable liners for when they get sweaty and you have to wear them again the next day. Pull the liners out, and they dry overnight!

They go for about a hundred bucks, but I've had mine for 4 years and worn them for a few hundred days all together I'd guess. No signs of giving up on me yet!

I also have a pair of Trukk boots for less hiking intensive times, or for serious cold weather camping. I have preferred these Trukks over the Sorels.... sorry guys (and gal).

I have had a pair of LL Bean Bear Cat boots for 10 years and I love them. They are rugged enough to be in the snow, but you can also pull jeans down over them and wear them to drive and go around town. They are very comfortable and ultra warm. I think the newer version is the wildcat boot. Plus, LL Bean can't be beat for returns. IF anything happens, they will replace them for free.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=57071&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503390&feat=503390-tn&cat4=503383

It sounds like the OP is talking about footwear for out and around town, not so much slogging through the snow and standing on the ice for hours at a time (for which the Sorels are the time-tested standard).

Me, I like my Blundies (I own #500)....

http://www.blundstone.com/product_info.cgi?subpageID=classicslifestyle&sub_categoryID=130278

They do well in the snow, but also look good with dress pants, jeans...just about anything....
To some degree that's true but I'm not big on fashion (and that's an understatement). I'd like these to be useable for everyday use in Denver/Ft. Collins but then also used for all non-slope times while at the ski resorts. Seems we always end up doing a lot of walking at the ski resort. Form almost always follows function with me.:)

Great suggestions so far. The Euro stuff looks really nice it's just so expensive. But if it's really worth it I'll do it.

To some degree that's true but I'm not big on fashion (and that's an understatement). I'd like these to be useable for everyday use in Denver/Ft. Collins but then also used for all non-slope times while at the ski resorts. Seems we always end up doing a lot of walking at the ski resort. Form almost always follows function with me.:)

Great suggestions so far. The Euro stuff looks really nice it's just so expensive. But if it's really worth it I'll do it.

I'm not big on fashion either and also kinda cheap, but spent the money on the blundies (my second pair....my first pair was a gift but the dog chewed em up).

I justified the cost because I wear them all the time because they go with everything. I wear them to work, out to the bar, to/from skiing...

As far as walking goes, I think Sorels are just too clunky and heavy for walking. The insulation is excellent but way too much for any sort of activity (at least for me)...I'd be taking them off every stop to wring out my socks!

Good luck!

I have had 2 pairs of Wolverines.

They are both waterproof enough to stand in a 6 inch running stream no problem.

The steel toed pair is heavier, but nice to have.

I'll never buy anything else.

I have the Sorel Caribou . Bought them about 8 years ago and they are great never had cold/wet feet. The inner liner is great it dries quickly(sweat) and is washable big plus for us with stinky feet and they sell replacements.

I have the Sorel Caribou . Bought them about 8 years ago and they are great never had cold/wet feet. The inner liner is great it dries quickly(sweat) and is washable big plus for us with stinky feet and they sell replacements.
The Ostrich leather ones?:D They're only $1K.:eek:

Great suggestions. They don't sell this stuff down here and (after some thought) I think it'd be a mistake to buy sight unseen so I'll do some shopping when in CO. Now I'll have a MUCH better idea what to look for. Thanks!

+1 on the bludestones. Great boots, I wore them when I was not knee deep in sh$t while I worked up in the AK (in the summer).

Edit: damn those are expensive.... I don't remember paying that much... so never mind, unless you're a high roller

Why don't you talk to your family? Or at least take a look at what they wear? I'm assuming you would probably be engaging in a similar level of activities as they would be, so they would be the most likely to give you some good info as to where to look and what to avoid.

Why don't you talk to your family? Or at least take a look at what they wear? I'm assuming you would probably be engaging in a similar level of activities as they would be, so they would be the most likely to give you some good info as to where to look and what to avoid.
I intend to do that but they're transplanted southerners and only one adult male (my BIL) and they have 4 kids so they might not want to spend quite as much as I'd be willing to. I know there are some folks on here that have lived in cold locations their whole lives so I thought I'd ask here as well.

Koflach Arctic Expe's. Hands down the best boots I've owned. They look like they would be very uncomfortable but on the contrary, they are quite comfortabe. You can hike in them, they work well with crampons (technical or regular) and you can ski in them (although not well, they are neither fish nor fowl, tele or downhill.) Warm as toast, tough as nails and the liners dry out in your sleeping bag overnight. Spent a week below zero in them a few years ago and never once got cold feet.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/koflach/arctis-expe/

A little pricey but if you are spending a lot of time outside in the cold you'll be glad you dropped the coin.

PTN

Well I ended up going with appearance more than I thought I would have. Many/most of the boots I saw just didn't look very good and since this is just for walking around town and around the restaurants/shops at the slopes I didn't think I'd need some uber-winter boot.

So I just went with these Timberland leather boots. They were $89 at DSW. They are quite comfortable and worked well.

Slopes were decent (Keystone), not enough natural snow but for an inexperienced skier like me they were fine. Sucks when you have your rental skis stolen 10 minutes after renting them.:mad: They charged me $506 for those well-used, rental skis. Luckily they found them a week later and I got the money back.

Honestly if you're just going to be walking around, and going from indoor place to indoor place, get a pair of merrells. I have a pair of goretex insulated ones that cost me all of $89. Basically they're cross trainers with some insulation. I love them for everyday wear. Right now I'm in Chicago where it's 11 degrees, and my feet stay warm with normal socks on my 1/2 hour walk to work.

They're light enough to wear for a 16 hour work day and they don't kill my feet, either.

If you're going to be out in the snow for a few hours, standing in one place, the Merrells aren't exactly the best thing. Get a real pair of boots I've had Danner, Red Wings, and Rockys and have liked them all.

B

Back