2 and 3 gallon fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wp2145

Reaction score
This my first post. I've been lurking for a few weeks absorbing all I can. I have found answers to most of questions and concerns by searching the posts.

Like many new home brewers I am trying to take things slowly. The whole process of brewing can be intimidating, and expensive, if you jump into it willy nilly.

I thought I would test the waters (no pun intended) by brewing a 1 gallon batch. No major issues as this forum prepared me for my first shot.

I purchased a 1 gallon kit from NB and followed the directions and all worked out well. One problem; using a 1 gallon jug was a PITA. Within 24 hours I had blow-off all over the place. Again, I checked the forum and discovered that using a blow-off tube in star-san fixed that problem. Everything is hunky dory now.

In the future I plan to continue brewing small batches but will be using a larger fermenter. In one thread, some one suggested going to your local Supermarket and hitting up the bakery for 2 gallon food grade buckets. So I did. They asked how many I wanted they had 30 or so to choose from. I took a 2 and a 3 gallon bucket. These were used for icing and have grommeted lids as well. Total cost $0.00.

Based on what I researched, the going price for these on-line is $5 to $7 with lids and of course shipping.

The way I figure it out, reading HBT saved me $20.

Those bakery buckets work fine. Also, Home Depot sells a food grade 2 gallon bucket for about $2. Drill a hole for an airlock and you're good to go. There's no reason to pay more than that for a small batch fermenting bucket.

Free is good too!

I love free equipment. I just got some free ones the other day. My home depot regularly sells 5 gallon buckets with lids that are food safe. I do 3 gallon test brews in them.

Try to control your temps as best you can...when I first started I would just ferment and go and see crazy blow off. I was also using Notty which is a beast of a yeast and can easily blow off. Now I control my fermentation and keep it around 60 and even my biggest beers don't blow off.

Back