How thick can stouts be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
I fixed a computer of a co-workers and he surprised me with some growlers filled up with brews from one of our local micros. In any event he tried to get a growler of their stout but them commented that it has to be called in ahead because its so thick it takes a long time to fill up a growler.

I have never really had a stout that was like maple syrup in consistency, does it really take "that" long to fill up a growler of the higher gravity stuff?

Total and complete crap. If that was the case they couldn't serve it on tap and it wouldn't pour out of bottles.

Someone is pulling someone's leg.

I'd be willing to bet he was refering to the head.
If you've ever watched a Guinness being poured properly, it's done in 2 steps cos the head is so thick.

That's just the way it is poured. The nitro does that, but if you fill a growler properly, you should be able to avoid most of that.

If the growler is filled at the bar, I can understand that.
It probably pours too foamy from the bar taps.

So it just was the head and bar tap situation, you shouldn't need a spoon for the stuff?

Back