IPA recipe-looking for some feed back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jono1492

Reaction score
Hi guys, firstly-sorry if this is in the wrong area of the forum, I will move it ASAP if it is. Secondly-sorry, I'm the ultimate newbie brewer and only have a limited understanding of what I'm doing here, haha. I'm not saying go easy on me, but please bear with me..

Anyway, I just wanted to post an IPA recipe I came up with and am seeking some feedback/critique/opinions on it, as I'm really new and am not sure if I've got everything correct. I have tried my best to convert all the weights/temps from grams/kg's/celcius and hopefully they are all correct.

The OG was 1.040 and it started showing signs of vigorous fermentation after about 12-15 hours and is still going strong. I had a wee taste and it was fairly bitter, but hope it will mellow out. The galaxy hops give it an unreal passion-fruit aroma and overall it smells amazing. Colour seems a bit dark however..

550g(19.40z) crystal caramel
500g pale(17.6oz), 1/2 orange zest + couple of pellets of Amarillo
Steeped @70c(158f) for 15 minutes, then mashed for 1 hour. Sparged and strained

1.5kg(3.3lb) light LME-added to mash liquor, then boiled
Added 50g(1.76oz) goldings/50g(1.76oz) Amarillo @15 minutes
Added 50g(1.76oz) goldings/50g(1.76oz) Amarillo @ 30 minutes
Added 50g(1.76oz) Amarillo/10g(.35oz) galaxy @ 45 minutes
Finished boil @ 60 minutes

Chilled and added to fermenter. Dissolved 200g(7.05oz) dark DME and 100g(3.52oz) Dextrose in boiling water and added to fermenter
Topped with chilled, bottled water to 21 liters(5.54 gallons) and added 25g(0.88oz) Amarillo + 15g(0.53oz) galaxy hops in a 'tea bag'. Pitched rehydrated Safale- 05 yeast @ 18.7c(65.66f).

I plan to leave it in primary for a month before bottling, does anyone have any idea on an expected FG? Ps. I'm ****ting my pants about posting this, really expecting to get bollocked because its completely wrong.. :s

Really appreciate any feedback,
Jono

Stop apologizing. You're an Aussie, have some pride. Your amber fluid, she'll be apples. ;)

As to your FG, there is no way to know for sure. S05 will attenuate out pretty well so I would expect it to land between 1.008 and 1.016 provided you didn't make a blue with your boil temps or cactus your yeast by underpitching.

I'm sure it will be aces.

RDWHAHB. :) (Relax, don't worry. Have A Homebrew)

Welcome!

The recipe looks really interesting, in a good way! First thing I noticed is that, for an IPA, your OG is pretty low. I usually shoot for at least 1.055, and sometimes go as high as 1.080, using between 6-9 lbs. of DME when doing extract. But if you're looking for a session IPA, that's what you'll have and I'm sure it will taste great.

I would use less crystal malt, maybe 12oz. at most, and keep it at 40L or under. Otherwise you can end up with a fairly sweet brew that will mask some of the hop character.

Another thing that looks odd is the last hop addition, after chilling... I assume this is meant as a dry hop addition? Problem is you're going to lose most of the hop aroma to CO2 expulsion during fermentation. I recommend you save any dry hop additions for until your target FG is reached and is stable for 3 days. This way all of the precious aromatics will remain in the solution rather than being carried off by CO2.

Also I recommend adding most of your flavor hops with 5 minutes left in the boil, or better yet, at flameout and steep them @ around 180F for 20-30 minutes. This produces HUGE, clean hop flavor and aroma IME and is a method many people are beginning to adopt. The 30 minute-10 minute flavor additions can be useful but you'll get a more pronounced hop character with the late addition

Overall it looks like a great brew, cheers, and let us know how it turns out! :ban:

Cheers mate, thanks for the feedback. and I'll try to go easy on the apologizing, haha

Stop apologizing. You're an Aussie, have some pride. Your amber fluid, she'll be apples. ;)

As to your FG, there is no way to know for sure. S05 will attenuate out pretty well so I would expect it to land between 1.008 and 1.016 provided you didn't make a blue with your boil temps or cactus your yeast by underpitching.

I'm sure it will be aces.

RDWHAHB. :) (Relax, don't worry. Have A Homebrew)

Thanks man, just the feedback I was after! What you've said about the late hop additions makes a lot of sense, and it WAS meant to be a dry hop. I still have some in the freezer so will do as you say and add some after fermentation is done. Once I get around to drinking it, I'll share how it went.

Thanks again

Welcome!

The recipe looks really interesting, in a good way! First thing I noticed is that, for an IPA, your OG is pretty low. I usually shoot for at least 1.055, and sometimes go as high as 1.080, using between 6-9 lbs. of DME when doing extract. But if you're looking for a session IPA, that's what you'll have and I'm sure it will taste great.

I would use less crystal malt, maybe 12oz. at most, and keep it at 40L or under. Otherwise you can end up with a fairly sweet brew that will mask some of the hop character.

Another thing that looks odd is the last hop addition, after chilling... I assume this is meant as a dry hop addition? Problem is you're going to lose most of the hop aroma to CO2 expulsion during fermentation. I recommend you save any dry hop additions for until your target FG is reached and is stable for 3 days. This way all of the precious aromatics will remain in the solution rather than being carried off by CO2.

Also I recommend adding most of your flavor hops with 5 minutes left in the boil, or better yet, at flameout and steep them @ around 180F for 20-30 minutes. This produces HUGE, clean hop flavor and aroma IME and is a method many people are beginning to adopt. The 30 minute-10 minute flavor additions can be useful but you'll get a more pronounced hop character with the late addition

Overall it looks like a great brew, cheers, and let us know how it turns out! :ban:

It looka like a start to great brew. You'll want to make it again soon I bet! Definitely don't add those hops right when you pitch your yeast. Like was mentioned before, either put them in at flame out or dry hop adding them after primary fermentation is complete.

I wish I had more input on the extracts or amounts but I brew all grain. One thing I do love is the galaxy hops! If you have more than one secondary, you could split your batch and dry hop with two different kinds and see what the differences are?

Anyways, sounds great and I'm sure you'll be fine. Just keep making as much beer as possible! Cheers

Cheers for the feedback, I'll have to seek your advice when I move up to all grain!

It looka like a start to great brew. You'll want to make it again soon I bet! Definitely don't add those hops right when you pitch your yeast. Like was mentioned before, either put them in at flame out or dry hop adding them after primary fermentation is complete.

I wish I had more input on the extracts or amounts but I brew all grain. One thing I do love is the galaxy hops! If you have more than one secondary, you could split your batch and dry hop with two different kinds and see what the differences are?

Anyways, sounds great and I'm sure you'll be fine. Just keep making as much beer as possible! Cheers

Latest posts

Back