Newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCRocketman

Reaction score
So ... I got a Mr Beer kit from my wife for valentine's day ... just bottled my first brew on Sunday and started a second ...

I have several (ok many) growlers laying around the house ... My question - can I bottle the second brew (and let it ferment/carbonate - still learning lingo here) in the glass growlers?

Seems to me I could but don't want glass flying all over thee house if I'm wrong, so I figured I'd ask!!

Thanks!!

Randy

Most things that I read say no because they are not meant to take the pressure. I've never personally tried it out.

Using an air flock they make good fermenters but some say they can't take pressure for bottling.

Some people say they have done it successfully, and others say they busted. I have never done it, but I think it is possible. Ensure you have a good seal with the cap, and let them sit in a cooler in case the do blow. Try it with one or two and let us know what happens.

Some people say they have done it successfully, and others say they busted. I have never done it, but I think it is possible. Ensure you have a good seal with the cap, and let them sit in a cooler in case the do blow. Try it with one or two and let us know what happens

Some also say that shattering glass under pressure can maim, blind, or kill loved ones, small children and animals, and/or yourself. All of my growlers say right on the growler that they will not hold pressure. Do you really want to risk bodily injury, not to mention a 1/2 gallon of brew, trying to ferment in a growler??

Go dumpster diving behind your local bar or at your local recycling center and get more bottles. Everyone wins.

Back