Cider taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
I bottled a wit 12 days ago, i tried it today and it taste like orange cider...What can make my beer taste like cider?

two things come to mind:

1. did you add corn sugar at any time other than bottling?

2. acetylaldehyde - is an off flavor/aroma that's similar to green apples, and is produced by stressed yeast (like low pitch rates, poor aeration, wrong pitching temp, wrong fermentation temp)

how long in primary? did you do a secondary? (i'm guessing you did not since its a wit)

I did not use corn sugar other then to bottle...I did not put it into a secondary and left it in the primary for 3 weeks.....I fermentented at 68 and it took off with in 12 hours...Could it still be green?

I did not use corn sugar other then to bottle...I did not put it into a secondary and left it in the primary for 3 weeks.....I fermentented at 68 and it took off with in 12 hours...Could it still be green?

I used 1 oz of corriander, could this be the taste that just needs to mellow a little?

Also I had this problem alot with the cooper kits I did several of those that were fine when I bottled them and 3 weeks later I opened the bottles and had that cider taste as well. My 1st extract ipa turned out fine. My wit was my 2nd brew and this cider taste seems to be back and is really concerning me.

You bottled it 12 days ago, it's not ready and probably still "green". How long was it in the primary? Was there honey in the recipe?

Here we go again. Extract brewing mysteries. Its not your fault, but the quality of the ingredients. Ever wonder why these problems are rarely posted from all grain brewers.

If that taste doesn't go away in 3-4 weeks from now I agree with dvdfnzwbr. I only use Briess DME when I do Extract and PM brews, and don't get any cidery tastes.

Yeah I'd say give it time. you didn't load it up with corn sugar, and you let it sit on the yeast cake under good temps so any acetyaldehyde should've been cleaned up.

to my tastebuds, corriander has a pronounced 'fruit loops' smell too it, so that fresh spice in the young brew might be detected as 'cider' to you and should age out.

my pumpkin ale was obnoxious from the pumpkin pie spice (steeped as a tea) at 3 weeks in the bottle. but after 2 months its very drinkable.

Back