Anyone brewed Jamil's scottish beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambleon

Reaction score
Brewing Jamil's Scottish 80 shilling right now. The grain bill sounds pretty tasty. Anyone have any reviews for it?

I am brewing the Wee Heavy this weekend I have allready made my starter. I plan on aging it for a year and breaking it out for my new sons first birthday.

I have the Scottish 80 from Brewing Classic Styles in my primary (13days in). I used S-05 at 66F. Can't speak to it's quality, but the other recipe I have done from Jamil (Cowboy Alt) has been my favorite beer I have brewed so far, so I have high hopes.

Waynep005 said:
I am brewing the Wee Heavy this weekend I have allready made my starter. I plan on aging it for a year and breaking it out for my new sons first birthday.

Dude, I love this. I'm brewing his Old Ale when my son is born next month and not cracking it until his first birthday. I can't wait (mostly for the baby but also for the beer)!

I brewed the 70 for my dad's retirement party but did not use the carmelized option instead opting for the specialty grains version. I needed to make sure it turned out right and since I have never carmelized a portion of the wort I opted to play it safe. Turned out great, I shared some (at room temp mind you) from a conditioning keg with my sister tonight and she loved it.

stbnj said:
I brewed the 70 for my dad's retirement party but did not use the carmelized option instead opting for the specialty grains version. I needed to make sure it turned out right and since I have never carmelized a portion of the wort I opted to play it safe. Turned out great, I shared some (at room temp mind you) from a conditioning keg with my sister tonight and she loved it.

How long after brew day did you wait to try it?

I brewed the caramelised 70/- last weekend. Took a gallon of the first runnings and boiled them down to about a litre of much-thicker concentrated wort. Had a molasses-like aroma. Then, did a vigourous 90 min boil.

Looks and smells good, but have yet to try it.

:mug:

I have the Scottish 80 from Brewing Classic Styles in my primary (13days in). I used S-05 at 66F. Can't speak to it's quality, but the other recipe I have done from Jamil (Cowboy Alt) has been my favorite beer I have brewed so far, so I have high hopes.

Sounds like we brewed the same beer on the same day! I am going to rack mine into the kegs tomorrow. Based on brewing a lot of recipes from BCS I am expecting great things from this beer. I am interested to see if I get any of that perceived smokiness in the beer.

Back