Baltic Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG1602

Reaction score
I am making a baltic porter tomorrow.

7lbs Munich
3lbs Vienna
3lbs Marris Otter
12.8 oz Brown malt
8 oz Flaked Oats
8 oz Carafa II special
4 oz C120
1.6 oz Special B
1.6 oz Chocolate malt

0.55 oz Galena 60min
0.25 oz Perle 30min
0.5 oz Cascade 5 min

Approx 31 IBU and 1.075 SG

Water- 1 tsp CaCl/5 gal CaC03 in mash to get right pH, if needed.
Mash 152
WLP810
Ferment 60 or 62?

What do you think?:rockin:

I just did a Baltic a few weeks back.

Your ferment temp is right on - I did mine at 61f.

Looks like a tasty brew - Do you like some of EDIT black malt? I put 8 oz in mine. Maybe that is too much. You have brown malt which I've never used.

For hops i am staying away from any addition less than 15 to end of boil. I really like glacier.

I really was trying to avoid the roastiness of black malt. I used the chocolate for roastiness, but now looking, I may need to add a little more roastiness. Will post when I try it out!

I have a recipe from zymurgy mag. Sept/Oct 2012 and i'm considering it I like to use the marris Otter so it's nice to see it's in your recipe. I was wanting to do a christmas brew either adding pumpkin or spices to mine.

The recipe turned out real nice. Turned it in for a competition, and received a 39. Not bad. Points were taken off Due to not being completely true to style. Was told it should be deemed a foreign export.

The recipe turned out real nice. Turned it in for a competition, and received a 39. Not bad. Points were taken off Due to not being completely true to style. Was told it should be deemed a foreign export.

What was not true to style about it? The fact it wasn't a robust porter?

They told me it lacked enough roast character for the BP. I have tasted two commercial baltics, and sweetness has stood out more than roast to me.

The recipe looks good for a baltic porter. Here are some of my thoughts...

- I've read a common problem homebrewers have with Baltic Porters is that they finish too sweet because the yeast can sometimes crap out too soon if the correct amount of healthy/active yeast isn't used. I mashed at 150 F to add a little more fermentable sugars to help with that.

- I agree with not using any hops any later than 15 minutes remaining in the boil.

- For the grain bill, I used some pilsner in place of the maris otter/vienna. I like a tad more chocolate flavor in mine too, so I used 1/2 lb chocolate & 1/4 lb carafa, but your roasted malts are probably closer to style.

- If you're trying to stay true to style & have the ability to lager, I'd use one of the German lager yeasts which can really help accentuate the malt profile. My Baltic Porter is in the fermenter right now using Wyeast Bavarian Lager yeast @ 50 F.

Maybe try pacman yeast if you can get your hands on it from wyeast

I agree that WLP810 is amazing for this beer. That's what I used for mine and I couldn't be happier with that one. It took me from 1.080 to 1.019 in 2 weeks. I'm just sad I only have a few bottles left because 4 months later it is really starting to taste amazing and I thought it was good earlier on...

Broke mine out a party, and it did not survive. Like you, I wish I could have had it down the road.

Just found out mine took bronze for the category in a large competition. Score sheet said it would probably benefit from some more aging (been in bottles 5mos). Sucks I only have 2 bottles left!

OClairBrew said:
Just found out mine took bronze for the category in a large competition. Score sheet said it would probably benefit from some more aging (been in bottles 5mos). Sucks I only have 2 bottles left!

What's your recipe look like? I really want to do a Baltic Porter but I'm just trying to learn as much about the style as I can. If anyone has tried any Northwest craft brewed Baltic Porters I'd be interested in learning the names so I can keep my eyes peeled for some. I've seen Alaskan but I don't know much about that brewery.

This was my first big beer and I had some efficiency issues. Even after adding 2 lbs of DME I came up 10 points shy of my OG target.

Heres the recipe for a 5.5 gallon batch:

12lbs Munich
7lbs Pilsner
8oz Crystal 60
8oz Special B
6oz Debittered Black Malt
4oz Chocolate malt
2lbs light DME

1.5oz Sterling (5.7AA) @ 60 min
.5oz Sterling (5.7AA) @ 15 min

Mash at 150f

My OG came to 1.080 and FG was 1.019.

This is the only Baltic Porter I have ever even tasted so I can't recomend a commerial example.

I average 70-75% on my average beers, but this one killed me!!! I mashed in too thin and then wasn't able to sparge very much and it was just a nightmare... I will be doing this one again in the near future to try and see if I can come out with better results. The next batch will probably be hidden away in a closet for about 6 mos before drinking as this one really does get better with time.

I usually go about 1.5-1.6 qt/lb, but with big beers I will go down to 1.2-1.3 just to make a little room for sparge. If you have too, just collect in another pot and combine the two. Takes a little longer, but you get what you want.

Back