My First Brew - IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenspey

Reaction score
This is my first brew, an IPA with 85 IBU's. Three weeks in the bottle with the setting sunlight behind it.

Next to it is the bottle with my first label, entitled "The Take" on a flyfishing theme. The "take" is the moment with the fish hits your fly. There's no feeling like it, expected and yet a complete surprise every time.

IMG_0744.jpg

It still tastes a little green, but has a good citrusy aftertaste (Cascade and Centennials). I'm not happy with the clarity or the aroma. Next time I'll dryhop and make sure I get the cold break (it took me about an hour to cool this one down). My next batch only took me 15 minutes to drop the temp down, so it should be better.

IMG_0746.jpg

Thanks for looking!

The label looks awesome! As far as clarity and aroma, if it took you an hour to cool you probably lost some of your aroma as well as not getting a good cold break. Look at using an icebath to cool in the future.

Other than that, congrats on your first brew!!!!:mug:

Thanks, guys. Deathweed, I moved to an icebath after this brew and it worked very efficiently. I actually dropped my wort down to 56deg in under 15 minutes!! Lesson learned.

Greenspey said:
Thanks, guys. Deathweed, I moved to an icebath after this brew and it worked very efficiently. I actually dropped my wort down to 56deg in under 15 minutes!! Lesson learned.

And knowledge is half the battle.......:mug:

Great job - the label (and the sunset) looks great, and it sounds like you've got some good ideas for your next batch. Kudos!

I really dig the label. My interests would be peeked if I saw it at the store. Be sure to let this batch sit for a while. Although your disappointed with the aroma, I'm sure it will taste great after a few weeks in the bottle.

I hope your happier with the results of your next batch.

Looks good. Some of the haze will clear after several weeks in cold condition. Also try some irish moss or something of that sort in your boil.

the cold break cooling will help as well.

Jay

Go Big Green!

It will be interesting to see where Stewart and Dixon go in the draft this weekend. I wish my Dolphins had a shot at grabbing Stewart!

Back