All-Brett temperature info?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thasnazzle

Reaction score
I'm planning a batch of all-Brett beer for some time in the near future. I can't find any info on flavor profiles of different temperature ranges for all-Brett beers. I plan on using WLP650 Brett Brux. Anyone know where I might be able to find that kind of info? Do I even need to worry about temp control for all-brett?

I am lousy at descriptions.

You want to keep it above 65 or it may stall.

I'm drinking one right know done at 75 and is quite fruity.

I have one going right now that I accidentally started at 82 F. Doesn't seem to have done any damage. Haven't tasted the finished product yet.

thasnazzle said:
Hmm. My apartment is ~80* ambient temps. Are you getting any fusels at all?

Yikes! ... Sounds like you are in for some Belgian style ales.

I have fermented four consecutive batches with Brett brux Trois (WLP 644?). Temperatures have been 60, 65, 70 and most recently 72 with free rise to 78. The later is still finishing up, but I will say, of the three that I've finished and tasted (60, 65, and 70), 70 has had the best results. I expect the final temperature experiment to return extraordinarily fruity results.

On another note, this strain did ferment out at all four temperatures! The batch fermented at 60 took a few extra weeks but it did finish. It appears as though Brett may have some low temperature fermentation capabilities.

Hmmm. So, sounds like if I hold it at 70* for a couple of days and let it rise naturally, I should be good. Think ill try that.

I've never used WLP650 BRETTANOMYCES BRUXELLENSIS but I have used WLP644 BRETTANOMYCES BRUXELLENSIS TROIS in a couple of Saisons. I'm not sure how much of this translates between 644 and 650, but based on my experience WLP644 can handle really warm ferm temps. In both of mine I started them out at 72F and ramped up to 85F on one, and 80F on the other. Both fermentations were dominated by tropical fruit aromas. The first one was brewed back in June 2012 and has developed some great brett character but the tropical fruit flavors and aromas are really subtle now. Even at 85F I never got any fusel alcohols and in fact the first one scored a 39/43 in competition when it was only two months old. I've heard some people say the brett character is much more reserved when fermented at cooler temps.

FWIW, I had both white labs and wyeast Brux going for a while and stopped propagating the white labs. I found the wyeast strain much fruitier.

Back