What's in Mountmellick Irish Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what malt extract(s), hops and yeast are included in the 4 lb kit? I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Just an educated guess would be helpful. I'm tinkering around with BeerSmith, trying to learn the ins & outs. The stout I have in my primary right now used their Irish Stout kit and a Dark Malt extract. Can't seem to get the OG in BS (hehe... ) even close to my actual reading.

No one? Oh well. I'll just make some (un)educated guesses :p

Yo Shred,

So my guess on whats in the kit would be 5-6lbs of DME or LME whether its light or dark would contribute to the steeping grains.

If its a lighter extract say light or amber it more than likely will have 1lb or so of Chocolate malt and or Roasted Malt, probably nothing more than 1.5 lbs in total. Hopped with Fuggle or Goldings about 1 or 2 oz bittering, none late. Yeast Safale -04 english

Looking at Northern Brewer I wasnt to off with my guess lol

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/DryIrishStout.pdf

BTW my nickname in other forums is shreddy :)

Thanks edb, I appreciate it! Your guesses are actually pretty close to what I used and it came up relatively accurate to my hydrometer readings.

Back