Paulaner Hefe-Wiezen Clone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
I'm using the recipe from Clone Brews and it calls for Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Yeast. I've got Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan and Wyeast 3333 German Wheat on hand and would like to use one of those. Can any of you experts tell me how much of a difference that might make or which one would be best to try?

BTW If using the called for 3056 is the "only" thing that will get the job done, let me know that too.

Thanks,
Al

I've only used the 3068, so I'm talking out of school. But if I read the Wyeast site correctly, both the 3056 and the 3333 give a milder flavor than the 3068, which is the full-on traditional banana-and-clove strain.

The 3333 will flocculate more, though, which probably isn't what you want for a Paulaner clone.

Personally, I'd use the 3068, but I like that stronger flavor profile.

Thanks for the reply. I've actually got a hefe going now w/ the 3068 so I can throw the new beer on that one I guess.

Regards,
Al

Either will work. Adjusting the fermenting temps will dictate which flavoring (cloves/banana) you will get and which will dominate.

Bike N Brew...I skirted P'burg on Monday and earlier today. I'm home in IL now...850 miles/12 hours. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
Either will work. Adjusting the fermenting temps will dictate which flavoring (cloves/banana) you will get and which will dominate.

Bike N Brew...I skirted P'burg on Monday and earlier today. I'm home in IL now...850 miles/12 hours. :D

Colder = Cloves and warmer = banana right?

Thanks
Al

Does anyone know the ranges for the temps? I just brewed a hefe and want more of the banana to come through. I'm fermenting it at 70, so I hope that will give me the taste I'm looking for.

Back