FG 1.030, still need to add priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHateMayonnaise

Reaction score
Got an imperial IPA in the secondary with about 4 oz of leaf hops, been in there one week and will let it sit for one more. The OG was 1.115 and the FG before going to secondary was 1.030, doubt it's changed since then. Still get bubbles from the airlock every couple minutes or so.

Should I still add priming sugar when I bottle? If so how much? Since this is an imperial IPA I don't want it to be very carbonated..but some is of course important.

Thanks yall

IHateMayonnaise

Let it sit for a while before you bottle. If you're still bubbling, you're still fermenting, and a beer that big is going to want to age a little while before drinking anyway. Give it a couple weeks and check the gravity again, if you're trying to guess how much fermentation it still has to do and how much sugar you have to add, you're just begging for either flat beer or bottle bombs. Let it finish, then add the proper amount of priming sugar and you'll be golden.

OG that high, i would leave in primary for 3 weeks before even taking a reading. Secondary for a t least a month. Then take readings 3 days in a row to see whats going on.

agreed...this is a big beer and may take a while to dry out. Anything this large i would leave for a full month. How long did you leave this in primary? Pitching fresh yeast may help you out with drying this out a bit if it stalls...1.030 is too high for an IIPA

I agree with all the previous (except the thing about using mayonnaise) but no matter what your beer finishes at (even 1.030), assuming it's not stalled, you should add priming sugar because all the fermentable sugars have been used up and what is left are the unfermentable sugars. Without the priming sugar you'll end up with flat beer.

I agree with all the previous (except the thing about using mayonnaise) but no matter what your beer finishes at (even 1.030), assuming it's not stalled, you should add priming sugar because all the fermentable sugars have been used up and what is left are the unfermentable sugars. Without the priming sugar you'll end up with flat beer.

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!!

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!!

Just want to reiterate - you need to make sure that the beer is actually done fermenting before you bottle. (just wanted to make sure I can't be held accountable for any bottle bombs)

:mug:

Back