Need a measurement please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury556

Reaction score
I use a 28 bottle Edgestar wine cooler as my fermentation chamber so I am limited to using a carboy that has a total measurement of 24" (including bung & airlock).

Could someone that has a 6.5gal glass carboy please measure theirs as accurate as possible? Currently I use a 6.5gal ale pale but would like to upgrade to glass. Thanks. :mug:

I don't have a glass carboy, but why do you consider glass an upgrade to plastic? Buckets are (in general) way easier to access for dry hopping/fruit, gravity measurements etc, cheaper, non-breakable/dangerous, opaque, and they don't contribute any flavor to the beer.

6.5 gallon plain vanilla Italian glass carboy, very typical of the type sold today

20 5/8" to the top of the neck sans bung and lock
24 1/8" to the top of a 3 piece lock on a universal bung
25 5/8" to the top of an s-lock on a universal bung

For both bung & lock cases I tried to bury the lock in the bung and the bung in the carboy neck. You might be able to squeeze another 1/8" out of the bung & 3-piece combo to make your 24" restriction, or try a smaller standard (non-"universal") type bung (though you'd be risking it ending up inside the carboy - which is why I only use universal bungs ;) )...

Cheers!

Back