Toasted Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diptherunner

Reaction score
I am brewing a southern brown ale this weekend and I have been considering adding some toasted flaked oats to add a bit more mouthfeel. Does this sound like a stupid idea?

Sounds like something that is worth a try. Are you going to do a protein rest, or just mash it, or just steep? I'd live to hear how it turns out in any case.

I did this 6 weeks ago with an english style brown, but I toasted rolled oats instead of flaked oats and mashed at 152 F. And it turned out amazing, it was light bodied, yet smooth and creamy from the oats. I say: GO FOR IT. Let us know how it comes out.

CHEERS

Cool! I was thinking of adding it to the mash, rather than steeping. Did it get gummy or clog up the mash out?

Cool! I was thinking of adding it to the mash, rather than steeping. Did it get gummy or clog up the mash out?

It gets a little gummy, but if you only use a pound or so it'll be fine.

Start with "Quick" oats. They don't need to be cooked before mashing, so they are most convenient.

Toast them in the oven at 350 for 10-20 minutes. They'll start to smell like oatmeal cookies, and turn tan and then brown. At 10 minutes, they should be lightly tanned, and at 20 minutes they will be darker. I like the middle range- a nice toasty color. Then you can use them in the mash.

Yooper said:
It gets a little gummy, but if you only use a pound or so it'll be fine.

Start with "Quick" oats. They don't need to be cooked before mashing, so they are most convenient.

Toast them in the oven at 350 for 10-20 minutes. They'll start to smell like oatmeal cookies, and turn tan and then brown. At 10 minutes, they should be lightly tanned, and at 20 minutes they will be darker. I like the middle range- a nice toasty color. Then you can use them in the mash.

I only used a pound of oats as well and toasted them just like Yooper said above. Happy brewing.

CHEERS

Back