Where to add brewing salts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parkinson1963

Reaction score
Okay I did a search but could not find an answer.

I add my brewing salts (CaSo4 and MgSO4) to my grain so that it gets dissolved when I do my mash.

Is this wrong?, Should I add the salts to my water as I heat it up for the mash.

Or is this a six of one half dozen of the other.

Cheers!

Adding it to the grains is a good idea. Calcium Sulfate, especially, doesn't like to dissolve into water fully. When you add it to your water as you're heating it, some of it well end up stuck to the walls and bottom of whatever kettle you use.

It depends where it's needed. If it's intended to correct the mash pH, it should go in the mash. If it's to correct the sparge pH, in the HLT. If it's for yeast health, in the boil. If it's just for flavor, it can even be post-ferment.

I add some in the mash and then some to the brew pot.

Adding to the sparge water is not very practical as it will not dissolve properly.

Thanks for the replys.
So I guess I was right in my methodology, I add the salts to the grains as it one less thing to remember.

One less oh crap! moment after the process is well along.

I add all my salts to the water. The solubility of gypsum is about 2.5 grams per gallon, and I usually add less than 2 grams per gallon, so no problem.

I treat all my brewing water with calcium hydroxide to precipitate CaCO3 since I have highly alkaline well water. I add all my salts to all my water at the same time, stir to dissolve, and leave overnight then siphon the water off the precipitated chalk, and start brewin'..

Latest posts

Back