Tell me about St. Paul/Minneapolis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip sometime at the end of July or early August to visit a friend of mine in St. Paul. What are the must-see's of the area? More specific, what are the must-drink's of the area? Thanks ya'll!

There is a British Pub somewhere downtown where there are guys in soccer scarves, kilts, and they have lawn bowling. I have no idea what it is called.

Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer are both located there. :)

There's a good pub called Eli's (good food too) at 1225 Hennepin Ave.

A friend of mine who used to live in Minneapolis told me their macaroni and cheese is the best thing ever, but I had something else when I went.

Beer selection, if I recall, was okay but nothing super-impressive...they had some local brews on tap at least.

Edit: Found his e-mail answering my question, "What's there to do near the Mall [of America]?" I'm sure he won't mind me posting it:

Near the Mall?? Eh. Not a whole lot.

In the mall there's a whole bunch of stuff (Hooters, Rainforest Café, a sports bar type place for starters as well as some other decent food stuff that's not food court related).

You'd have to go west on 494 and you would see a bunch of normal stuff along the sides of the highway. Dunno if you'll have a car or not.

Best bet if you get some time....hop on the LRT at the mall and take it into the city. I think it's only $1.50 (at least it was last I was there). There are *SO* many great places to go to. Get off at the Nicollete Mall stop (that's not really a mall, it's like a street with no cars type thing, but with cars. ;-)) Head south for about 5 blocks and you'll have a great Irish pub (The Local) and a few more blocks a great English pub (Brit's). I spent a lot of days/nights in both of 'em. And the food is good at both.

The best place in the city (imo) is called Eli's. It's quite a hike from the LRT stop so it may not be practical. But if you have a car and drove in there is plenty of parking around that area.

Back