Welch's concentrate wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine didn't look like a vigorous fermentation, but dropped from 1.09 to dry in a matter of 3-4 days using the same yeast.

The full 1 gallon should have been made in a bucket for primary fermentation. A bottle should be used for secondary fermentation, which is much less aggressive.

That wouldn't have made a difference in fermentation speed.

As for the original post. All wines ferment differently. Relax and let it go. Test it in a couple days to see if it is dry. If you don't have a hydrometer, you can just taste it. Most people can taste if the wine is dry or sweet. ;)

The full 1 gallon should have been made in a bucket for primary fermentation. A bottle should be used for secondary fermentation, which is much less aggressive.

It's fine in the jug. When it's done, it can be topped up then. It's not a very active fermentation, BUT I always put it into a tub or bin- I had purple juice come up to the top once and stain my hardwood floor, so I'm a bit paranoid.

You won't get a krausen like with beer, but you may get a little bit of foam. If you follow the directions I wrote, you'll be perfectly fine!

Speed wise - nothing to worry about... Yeast can be deceptively fast.... It looks like absolutely nothing is going on till you drop in 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient - then it squirts all the way to the celing.... Yep - it was active all right!

The buckets are a must for fermenting on the grape hull mush.... The stuff expands so much and traps gas like crazy - it can easily end up squirting all over the place in a jug..... It also makes it significantly easier to punch down the cap and also to rack off after the 1st week or 2.....

Fermenting straight juice is a different matter altogether... Jugs work out just fine - and since you don't need to get it off the pomace, you can let it just sit and work under the airlock for as long as it needs to....

As others here have stated - top that sucker all the way up to about 1" from the airlock when fermentation slows down.... It helps quite a bit with infection worries...

Thanks

John

Back