plastic taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol' rummie

Reaction score
I have just bottle my first batch (BierMuncher Centennial Blonde ) using a new cooler ( Coleman). Noticed a plastic taste to the beer, I didn't notice the taste when I went from primary to secondary?? But I still suspect the cooler.

Questions:

-- Does anyone know of an infection that would cause a plastic taste?
-- Is there a way to condition the cooler, if it is the cooler? (leave in the sun)
-- What are the chances the taste will go away after conditioning in the bottles (wishful thinking)?

How long have they been in the bottles?

About an hour now.
I can't smell anything from the cooler, but just read on an other site that the plastic taste could come from pitching my yeast at too high a temp.

You're probably right, (good article too)
I always sample my brew in every step of the process, I just never came across this particular taste. But, I probably am jumping the gun, let you know how it tastes in a month.

I taste, but NEVER JUDGE, until the process is complete.

It's a natural process from grain to glass, that the the beer has to go through before it's ready, and until it's done things that "seem" wrong at the time, most of the time are nothing.

And if you aren't experienced at what "normal" green beer tastes like then it's hard enough to discern if something is wrong or not....I mean, drinking the hydro sample from a beer you just brewed can be the most vilesest, grainyest tasting thing ever (At least I think so)...but it's amazing what that turns into a couple months down the line.

Back