Help Needed!: Is this mold on my SCOBY??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianemarcy13

Reaction score
I am a first time kombucha brewer and there is a silver-dollar-sized hole/indentation on the side of my SCOBY. It seems to be where the gasses from fermentation are escaping. There is some dark brown funky stuff around the edges, but it doesn't look black or green or white or fuzzy. Can anyone tell me whether this is mold?

image-3557493124.jpg

image-1213443536.jpg

Wow that doesn't look good.
But I think you're right, it doesn't look like mold.
It does look like something has certainly contaminated the culture.
Maybe something got under your cap or maybe your hand washing procedure before handling the mother wasn't good.
I just commented in another thread a moment ago where someone had green stuff growing in their batch that looks like algae; I think yours looks like that too. I'm not confirming that's what it is, that's just what it looks like to me. The way it has greened your edges and has grown on the side of the jar.

Maybe it's fine, but if that was one of mine, I'd toss it and start over.

Where did you get your mother from? If from a reputable online grower, they may have a support system where you can get an opinion if you send them your photos.
Check this page out, your situation doesn't look like any of these:
http://www.kombuchakamp.com/2011/01/kombucha-mold-information-and-pictures.html

Do you or anyone else smoke or use any nicotine containing substances in the room where the ferment is kept? Nicotine is poisonous.

Back