First batch underway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srehg5

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm in the middle of brewing my first batch. It is the brewers best weizenbier kit. After all my research I was very concerned about te hot break, but it seemed to go to a rolling boil without one. It's all LME and hops. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Smells delicious and everything is sanitized to so I think I'm ok.

I think you'll be okay. I think (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that you generally won't observe much (if any) hot break when using extracts alone because the extract has already been boiled extensively, thereby removing all the proteins that form the hot break. You'll only see hot break when doing all-grain or steeping grains.
Congrats on the first batch! Hope it's great!

Nope you made beer er wort for now, being the temp down to 70, pitch your yeast, then be patient leave it be for at least 3 weeks, just be sure to keep the fermenter temperature constant within the optimum temp range of your yeast. Temperature control is very important. and only bottle it after it has stopped fermenting (ie. 3 days of consecutive hydrometer readings come back the same) enjoy! Relax, don't worry, have a micro brew (until your home brew is ready)

Also, should I rack this beer to a secondary? I know this may start some arguments. I did add Irish moss for the last 15 minutes of the boil.

I am part of the camp that says no secondary unless you are dry hopping adding wood or fruit, or bulk aging. Just keep it in your primary until it's done fermenting and cleared up.

Another mistake. I added my sample for the hydrometer back to the fermentation bucket. Is this ok?

srehg5 said:
Hi all! I'm in the middle of brewing my first batch. It is the brewers best weizenbier kit. After all my research I was very concerned about te hot break, but it seemed to go to a rolling boil without one. It's all LME and hops. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Smells delicious and everything is sanitized to so I think I'm ok.

I'm starting my bb weizenbier tomorrow! My first batch as well! Welcome to this fantastic addiction and best of luck.
As said above relax, don't worry, have a micro brew....till your homebrew is done

Another mistake. I added my sample for the hydrometer back to the fermentation bucket. Is this ok?

If your hydrometer and testing cylinder were sanitized it should be perfectly fine. Even if it wasn't sanitized but was clean, it will probably be okay, but the risk of contamination might be increased. Only time will tell...

Also, should I rack this beer to a secondary? I know this may start some arguments. I did add Irish moss for the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Using a secondary is a matter of personal preference. Most of the members on HBT appear to be steering others away from using a secondary (unless dry hopping or adding adjuncts, etc). As for me, I always secondary, but it's because I use an open bucket as a primary which has a large headspace, so I like to rack to secondary after ~1 week (once fermentation is complete) to reduce the headspace and reduce (potential) oxidative damage and to bulk condition the beer. Furthermore, up until recently, I was using my primary as a bottling bucket so I needed to get the beer off the trub so I could introduce the primary sugar.
A search of these forums will give you a whole slew of opinions of whether to secondary or not...

Latest posts

Back