What should I do with my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
I just pitched my batch on Sunday(6/14) but am leaving for vacation on 6/26. It's almost exactly 2 weeks since I pitched so I was thinking about racking to a secondary and leaving it in my fridge at the lowest setting (which is about 50*). The beer is a honey lager made with California Common Lager yeast that can ferment in the 70*-75* range. Unfortunately, I don't have a temperature controller on my fridge yet. Is this too cold for my secondary? Unfortunately my garage will probably get too warm while I'm gone to just leave it in the primary for the week I'm gone.

What should I do?

thanks fellas

+1 on the bathtub, or a large cooler filled with water. Make the water about 68-70 degrees to start. It will take a much longer time for a large volume of water to get really warm unless your temps are going to be really high, like in the 90's in the ambient air.

The temps in my garage were getting in the mid 70's the last couple days so last night I went out and bought a big plastic storage bucket. This thing is 19 gallons. I placed my ale pale in the bin and filled with water up to the level of my beer. I placed some frozen water-filled plastic bottles in the water and was able to get the water down to about 60*. I soaked an old bed sheet in the cold water and wrapped it around the fermenting bucket. This morning the ice in the bottle was melted and the water temp got back up to 68*. I was hoping the ice wouldn't melt so fast. People on this forum are reporting that they only need to replace the ice bottles every couple days. I'm not sure why mine are melting so fast. The other thing is that I noticed that the part of the bed sheet that was not submerged in water was starting to dry out. I've read on this forum that the wicking action of the sheet in the water and subsequent evaporation is part of what keeps the fermenting bucket colder. But once the sheet dries out there isn't any more evaporation. Am I missing a little step or trick?

The bulk of your fermentation is done. I don't know that I'd worry about the last little bit being too warm. I'd be worried maybe during the first week.

Of course you'd want to try and keep it at the best temp, and consistent, but frankly, I would not let it ruin my vacation at this point. Unless you have a fermentation chamber, you can only do so much when you can't be there to keep feeding it ice bottles.

Back