How long do crushed grains hold up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmcc

Reaction score
Picked up a recipe almost 2 weeks ago, had hoped to brew it last week but didn't get to it, how long do crushed grains hold up?

thanks,

Depends on what conditions you store them in. If you can put them in a vacuum sealed bag or a zip-loc freezer bag and pop them in the freezer. They will last longer that way, but at a couple of weeks you should be fine.

yeah, i've had crushed grain in my fridge or freezer for like 2 or 3 months before using and the recipe came out right on the numbers. even at room temp, i would bet a month or so wouldn't be out of the question.

I buy grains in a recipe crushed in a sealed bag from Brewmasters warehouse. One batch sat room temp for 6 months and the beer came out excellent.

My crushed grains have been sitting in a garage in Florida for about a year. I brewed last month and the beer came out with no problems.

Back