My 1 bbl. system build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hampdenbrewing

Reaction score
Time to start the build thread as the system is progressing along. I'll try to be diligent and post pics.

013.jpg

014.jpg

022.jpg

024.jpg

038.jpg

More pictures of parts and goodies. The frame still needs cross supports. I'm thinking of decking it with Trex. It's 10' x32".

138.jpg

137.jpg

166.jpg

143.jpg

Very cool! What Auber PIDs are those? Are they 1/16 or 1/4 DIN? Are you concerned on how close together they are, you may not have room for compression connectors. What are they other square holes for?

The control panel build needed to get creative as the panel was used and had extra holes. The stainless front seemed to do the trick. Just trying to get some ideas of the placement of the knobs and buttons. PID controllers are fitted in place. Thats it for now!

162.jpg

164.jpg

167.jpg

170.jpg

172.jpg

Those are the 1/4s. For ten bucks more they'll be easier to see. (The eyes aren't as good as they used to be).

I work as a maint. mech in a scrapyard. They came in as scrap stainless. (1) 55gal. drum, (2) 200L vessels, (2) 60 gal. pots. Its like working in a candy store.

Nice.... so sweet, looking for kegs myself. I want to move to electric and jump up to 15 gallon batches.

Great work so far going to kewl watching your build.
Thanks for posting.

The contactors and power distribution block came today so it's time to figure out the panel layout. The contactors are 2 pole 30A used to isolate the SSRs. The fuses are for the elements and breakers for the pumps and panel control circuit.

2012-03-21_18-49-14_866.jpg

I work as a maint. mech in a scrapyard. They came in as scrap stainless. (1) 55gal. drum, (2) 200L vessels, (2) 60 gal. pots. Its like working in a candy store.

I'm wondering how many elements it will take to bring 20-40 gallons of wart up to boiling...i'm asking becuse my boil kettle is a 60 gal. pot (found at a scrap yard) I currently brew using propane but have been toying with the idea of going electric but havn't really seen..until now some one using pots my size:D

I'm wondering how many elements it will take to bring 20-40 gallons of wart up to boiling...

Someone ran some calc's on size and elements + times in a previous post. Do a search. Also, check out Kal's site (theelectricbrewery.com - forum section) on bbl build - I think he has the times posted there as well.

I'm building using (2) 5500W in each (HLT,BK). ULWD in the BK, purchased at Home Depot. BK is pic on the left.

133.jpg

119.jpg

Checking out your panel layout. Seems like your panel is maybe 10" deep? Just be careful of possible depth problems. Those PIDs are 100MM deep. Almost 4" deep. Assuming the contactors are the tallest thing in your panel (the breakers may be), the contactors are usually 3" deep or more. Your backboard usually is 1" above the panel back. That's 8" total. Just make sure you dont have any conflicts. I almost had a disaster when I placed my relays too close to my PIDs, but luckily the timer is a lot shallower than the PIDs and everything worked out fine.

Id personally go with 2x 4500w Ripp elements, they are the lowest watt density available and ive had some BAD history with high-watt-density elements. Weird tasting beer & hard as hell to clean.

The measured clearance is 1 1/2" which seems sufficient, as shown in the pic. The elements in the BK are ULWD. The HLT elements watt density was not a concern.

2012-03-23_16-49-58_752.jpg

Finally finished fitting and completeing exterior components installation. The selector between the two top PIDs is to allow only one kettle at a time to operate to prevent amp overload. (Left PID is HLT, right BK) The white pull knobs on each side are for the element contactors. The stop switch is top right. The amber selectors on the right from top to bottom are; water valve, pump 1, pump 2. The amber selector and the lower PID is for the HERMs. The heat sinks are set up with top left and top right for BK. Next two down each side HLT. Bottom left HERMs. I thought this will distribute the SSRs heat evenly. Next part of the build will be to install SSRs, contactors, and circuit wiring.

2012-03-29_17-36-20_404.jpg

2012-03-29_17-36-53_235.jpg

2012-03-29_17-39-07_962.jpg

The SSRs are installed and switch lamp bases and switch blocks are in place. Next will be the contactors on the inner panel.

2012-03-30_21-59-56_66.jpg

2012-03-30_22-23-51_69.jpg

I'm building using (2) 5500W in each (HLT,BK). ULWD in the BK, purchased at Home Depot. BK is pic on the left.

Are the images in post #18 of the HLT and BK? I ask because all the elements are non-ripple, were you able to find straght, (non-ripple) 5500w ULWD @ or about 50 watts per square inch elements at HD, or any where for that matter?
This is what I'm looking for.

I bought those at the local Home Depot. They were a stock item in the Plumbing Dept. with the water heater parts. The pic on the left is the BK.

Mounted the contactors on the inner panel today. Took the time to drill and tap the screw holes for mounting. I used 10-32 Phillips head pan screws.

2012-04-04_18-23-58_937.jpg

The tank supports and frame braces are now tacked in place. Need to complete the welding and install control box mounts. After that, prep for painting and begin decking the top.

2012-04-08_15-58-06_749.jpg

2012-04-08_16-16-46_11.jpg

I decided to add braces to the center area as we will be standing on that area around the MT and BK.

2012-04-10_17-22-59_983.jpg

Is this is for parking semi trucks on?? :D

Actually, NO. But, we will be on top of the deck a lot during brewing. The kettles are tall and during mashing and the boil it's going to make it a lot easier to load, stir and clean them. I'm beginning to think about building a separate front extention platform. Although it may look heavy it only weighs about 154lbs. It's 10ft L x 35in W x 15in H

I like how you will be able to just jump right onto the stand to do whatever. It makes a lot of sense to be able to do that instead of dragging a step stool around.

What's are you working on in the background there?

I like how you will be able to just jump right onto the stand to do whatever. It makes a lot of sense to be able to do that instead of dragging a step stool around.

What's are you working on in the background there?

A '67 Camaro Sport Coupe

Actually, NO. But, we will be on top of the deck a lot during brewing. The kettles are tall and during mashing and the boil it's going to make it a lot easier to load, stir and clean them. I'm beginning to think about building a separate front extention platform. Although it may look heavy it only weighs about 154lbs. It's 10ft L x 35in W x 15in H

It needs a set of retractable steps run off of an air system...well doesn't need but it sure would be cool:D

:
It needs a set of retractable steps run off of an air system...well doesn't need but it sure would be cool:D
Great idea!!! :D
Hmmm, do I install a compressor or how about using a CO2 tank? Nevermind the locking casters. What about a drive system for the wheels? WAIT !!! I see what you guys trying to do. You've all spent a ton of money building your systems and you do want to go down alone.:mad:

Back