should I repitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spokaniac

Reaction score
I bewed a stout using WLP013 that I left in primary for almost 2 weeks. I wanted to try saving the yeast so I racked it over to a secondary and pretty much followed the yeast washing sticky. So now I have 4 small jars in the fridge will 1/4 inch or so of yeast solids in them.

The fermentation started off real well, was active the next morning and churning for a few days at about 68 degrees. Then it slowed down and the temp dropped to about 61 degrees. Now that it is in the secondary it still isn't showing any activity. The OG was 1.054 and was 1.018 when I drew a sample while racking it. The target FG is 1.012. I am guessing I need to find a warmer home for the carboy.

My question is will bringing it back up to the 68-70 degree range wake the yeast up enough to finish, should I pitch some of the yeast that I harvested or should I do something else?

I bewed a stout using WLP013 that I left in primary for almost 2 weeks. I wanted to try saving the yeast so I racked it over to a secondary and pretty much followed the yeast washing sticky. So now I have 4 small jars in the fridge will 1/4 inch or so of yeast solids in them.

The fermentation started off real well, was active the next morning and churning for a few days at about 68 degrees. Then it slowed down and the temp dropped to about 61 degrees. Now that it is in the secondary it still isn't showing any activity. The OG was 1.054 and was 1.018 when I drew a sample while racking it. The target FG is 1.012. I am guessing I need to find a warmer home for the carboy.

My question is will bringing it back up to the 68-70 degree range wake the yeast up enough to finish, should I pitch some of the yeast that I harvested or should I do something else?

Try raising the temp to 70 and see if it works in 3 days. The low temps may have stalled it or slowed it down to a crawl. I got a real slow one going right now.

Back