yeast starter, step up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfuttner

Reaction score
If i want to make a larger starter, say 2 or 3 liters, do I need to start with a 1 liter of wort and step it up to the larger size or can I just pitch my wyeast activator pack straight to the larger volume of wort?

Instead of guessing about how large of a starter you need to make, use the calculation tool provided at yeastcalc.com. If you have a stirplate, use those parameters. Be sure to put in the OG, batch size (going into fermenter) as well as the production information about the yeast. Then figure out what size starter(s) you should make to get the proper pitching level.

Also, if you only need a 2L or 3L starter, you can just make the one. If you don't have a flask large enough, then do two or three steps with the flask you have.

3 liters of 1.035 wort is peanuts to 100 billion yeast cells. You will be fine pitching right into 3 liters.

Back