How Many Brewdays per tank of Propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjbatt

Reaction score
I have read several threads about propane burners, btu's, aluminum vs. stainless, etc. I am interested in going all grain and plan to purchase a propane burner and a 10 gallon brewpot for 5 gallon batches of beer. My LHBS owner tells me that he gets two brew days out of one tank of propane. I am hoping for better.

Can anyone recommend an efficient burner/10 gallon brewpot combo? William's brewing recommends their "Hurricane" burner for its efficiency (at $89). I spoke with customer service at Bayou and they suggest their SP10 model ($49).

Is there much difference in the efficiency of brewpots? Does the guage matter? Is aluminum more efficient than SS?

I know that there are other issues involved in burners and pots but I am hoping to keep this spefic to efficiency.

I apologize if this is covered somewhere else but I have not been able to find a specific recommendation. Thanks in advance for any help!

I'd recommend the bayou classic SQ14. I've had banjos and small turkey fryer burners, and this is a really efficient burner with some serious power up its sleeve....(if you ever need it).

You can buy the burner separate or in a stand. The stand fits a keg perfectly and is very stable. The full burner, stand, and reg are $49 at Amazon.

I have the Bayou classic SQ24. Works great. I get more than two 5 gallon batches from one tank though. I'm on my third batch from one tank and all with 90 min. boils.

To the OP, You might want to wait another week or two to purchase if you're going to be shopping at Home Depot or Lowes. After Turkey day they have some bargains!

And this is a good reminder I need propane, I usually get 2 batches but I also use the same tank to grill about 3 times a week...

Depends on the set up. I usually get about 4 or five batches out of my set up, but that is for five gallon batches. I usually heat the strike water in my RIMs system though and that made a huge difference. I have a home depot turkey frier burner and pot for my set up. It cost 25$ complete. I will say that I have used both stainless and aluminum for a boil pot, and I prefer the aluminum. It does heat nicer. S.

If you live in colder climates try putting your tank in a bucket of warm water when it starts to get low. It will help to get all the propane out of the tank.

I have the Bayou classic SQ24. Works great. I get more than two 5 gallon batches from one tank though. I'm on my third batch from one tank and all with 90 min. boils.

Which burner is that? It doesn't look like Bayou Classic sells it on their site.

I use the SQ14 and can get almost 4 brew days with one tank. This includes heating strike water and 90 minute boils. I always have an extra tank ready but I can usually get through half the boil on the 4th day before I need to swap it out.

Probably four but I like to refill after three just in case. Using pre-heated water from the sink for mash water helps out.

I always use cold water from the sink so it hasn't gone through my Hot water heater.. I remember from somewhere, maybe my salt water aquarium days, that there is a fair amount of corrosion and sediment in the hot water heater and the profile is much cleaner coming from the cold side... Just a thought.

I got four out of my last tank with a hurricane burner. I am still planning on building a heat shield out of aluminum flashing so I might be able to stretch it further. I heat the strike water, sparge water and boil on the hurricane, generally 60 minutes and five gallon batches.

Glad to see the tip on setting the tank in warm water to squeeze out the last few drops. I generally end up shaking my tank when the pressure dies down and that helps quite a bit.

I get about 5 - 6 out of the SQ14. 75 minutes boils - 5g batches. I only use it for the boil. Heating the strike and sparge water is done on the kitchen stove where the cost comes out of the household as opposed to the brewing budget.

-a.

I can only safely get two batches out of my propane tank hooked up to some generic trukey fryer burner. With two five gallon batches I did a 90 minute boil, 60 minute boil, heated the appropriate amount of water and a handful of grilling sessions.

I get 6-7 out of mine but I get all of my strike from the hot side of my sink and bring it up on my stove so that saves propane/money.

Back