Quest about pruning lateral sprouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
So, I've got 2 cascades and 2 centennials all coming up and growing well. One of my Centennials is doing so well that I've got 4-5 lateral "sprouts" coming off the main bine. My question is do I prune these? Train them up a different run of twine? Train them up the same twine as the main bine? As far as plants go, I kind of have a "dont eff with it" mentality. These are first year, and I'm not real concerned about yield, but just want the plants to be healthy? What say ye, hop growing vets?

I'm not sure what you mean by "lateral vines". They put out sidearms where the leaves sprout from the main bine during the year, and this is normal. Just let them grow. If the growth tip has been damaged they will do it early in an attempt to keep climbing. Either way if they're first year plants I wouldn't worry about it.

On a side note, nice selection of variety my man!! Your taste in hops looks very similar to mine, along with your planned brew log. Years ago when I planted my Cascade I really wanted Centennial to make a clone of Two-Hearted, but it wasn't available. I finally got back into brewing this year and planted that variety along with a few others.

They're sidearms & they don't get very long. Most of the cones will develop on the sidearms.

Back