How to go about all-grain 1 gal Graff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhettoDickens

Reaction score
I want to do some experimenting with graff. My plan is to do a bunch of different 1 gallon batches (using different beer styles for the wort). Based on scaling the 5 gal recipe down to 1 gal, I would be mashing about 1 lb of grains in .2 gallons of water. Is this something that is possible to do? Is there anything I should do to differently with such a small mash? Is this stupid?

Sure it is possible but it might be easier and more efficient to do your mash as a BIAB. You'll get to mash in a larger quantity of water and be able to separate the grains from the resulting wort very easily.

I would agree BIAB is the way to go here. Keeping that small of a mass at the right mash temp though can be problematic I would think. I do not know but perhaps you could use the oven to keep it warm? I am sure others who do this will chime in

im interested in doing this also. i would think you would get pretty big boil off with such little water so could double the water. Yea i do 1 gal batches of beer and the oven holds temp thru mash pretty good just preheat it to 170(lowest mine goes) then stove up to temp then mash in oven turn oven off during mash. i plan to try one soon so ill let you know how mine works.

im going to cheat i decided just scale a stout recipe ive made before up enough to steal some for the graff. easiest way to do it.

Back