Pros Cons, Like Dislikes, When to use, juices/fruits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiserbrew

Reaction score
Do you like using fruits or juices? does it add a lot? What are the pros and cons? When do you use them, what step? I really like wheat beers, thus the reason for asking. Thanks a lot, appreciate it.

If I'm going to use fruit...it's fresh. I usually add to the secondary. Just don't use those fruit extracts or flavorings that you can get at the grocery store or sometimes your LHBS. 90% of the time, they'll either taste like, or smell like the fruit you want. It won't do both.

One thing I didn't prepare myself for when making fruit beers is how weird fruit tastes without concomitant sweetness. I made a peach wheat with 5# of fresh peaches added to the secondary. Once the yeast consumed the sugars, the beer was left with this awesome peachy aroma, but each sip had this insanely gaggy, melon-like, roundness that would have been great had there been more sugars in there. Also, the peaches added SOOOOOO much acidity - I was not expecting all that tartness.

Still, good learning experience - I'll just know to use some serious crystal and carapils next time.

P.S. Cherry extract sucks.

Back