Possible Disease?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
I'm worried that this could be powdery mildew. Someone please calm my fears.

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

Powdery mildew kinda looks like dried milk on your leaves.
Your stuff looks more like it wants some water.

Nice pictures by the way.

it rained this morning and i watered this afternoon, i've been pretty good about it but texas is effing hot. maybe i'll up the watering? thanks for the input!

It could certainly be something else but my leaves have looked like your pictures before and I get pretty good harvests off them. So I don't worry much about it. Heck, it could be a bug chewing on things.

I've had powdery mildew on things before and it certainly doesn't look like your pictures.

Do a quick google on it and you'll see what I mean.

Powdery mildew flakes off if you rub it, it can be washed off using a light detergent in a spray bottle, I am not joking, just mix it very lightly, perhaps a tiny bit the size of a pea to a gallon of water.

Check the undersides of the leaves for whiteflies or thrips. I'd lean towards thrips, although I wouldn't rule out purely physical damage. Did you mow and have it shoot towards the hops? Getting hit with some high speed dirt can cause wounding which would also look like what I see in your photos.

Thrips
thrips.jpg

Thrips are fast LITTLE buggers and vary from yellow to white. They can be much smaller than whiteflies

Whiteflies
whitefly.jpg

Back