first off tasting wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbagurba

Reaction score
here we go. i'm working on a rye ale 5 gal. all went well with boil, etc cooled to around 75-80 (florida), aerated, and pitched a wyeast northern ale smack pack (no yeast starter - i know- i know !). after 5 days in primary- nothing. thinking yeast was frozen or dead, transferred to secondary. checked hydro- still dropping. tastes a little like beer should prior to bottling,but kinda a little acidic/pungent on taste. has been in secondary going on 3 weeks. still co2 leaving airlock. hydro says its done... i'm staring to see a white- milky like substance on sides of secondary. still have a little krausening on top. me thinks infection, but can't be sure. taste of beer has improved in last week..... do i wait another week or so, and bottle- or just go for it- rack to corny and see how it tastes after carbonation, or chuck it and use as fertilizer?....either pitching temp too high, or a sanitation issue? or a wait and see issue?

here we go. i'm working on a rye ale 5 gal. all went well with boil, etc cooled to around 75-80 (florida), aerated, and pitched a wyeast northern ale smack pack (no yeast starter - i know- i know !). after 5 days in primary- nothing. thinking yeast was frozen or dead, transferred to secondary. checked hydro- still dropping. tastes a little like beer should prior to bottling,but kinda a little acidic/pungent on taste. has been in secondary going on 3 weeks. still co2 leaving airlock. hydro says its done... i'm staring to see a white- milky like substance on sides of secondary. still have a little krausening on top. me thinks infection, but can't be sure. taste of beer has improved in last week..... do i wait another week or so, and bottle- or just go for it- rack to corny and see how it tastes after carbonation, or chuck it and use as fertilizer?....either pitching temp too high, or a sanitation issue? or a wait and see issue?
i'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy- tom waits

try posting pics so that we can get a better idea of what you are looking at....

Thanks, don't stress it, it's probably fine...

will try to get pic up this weekend. first time i've ever had yeasties movin this slowly- usually after about 5 days im good . f.g. is stable and we sit on itfor a few weeks and go to rack

so no pics. got tired of messin around f.g. was good racked into corny, dry hopped with sanitized mesh bag with 4 oz of falconers flight- carbonating now at 35psi. will dump pressure tonight after force carb, and taste... then will sit on it for a few weeks... then we'll know if its good or not....if not- no harm no foul...

Back