Rack cider after 2 weeks in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
I've looked up quite alot of ways to brew cider.

Some same place in secondary after 10 days, or once the bubbling has stopped.
Some say wait an extra week or two after bubbling and then place into bottles.

Its been a week and a half and the bubbling has almost came to a hault. Like one bubble every 2-3 mins.

I see that the yeast and extras are settling and the top 4 inches are looking clearer and have a nicer color. Would placing them into bottles be good now? I dont want to secondary although I could incase of possible infection etc.:rockin:

In typical newbie fashion I didnt measure the gravity.
I do have the measurer but forgot to use it. :drunk:

So I have a while before racking then if it should be 75% clear.

Is it really worth placing into a secondary?

OK I should have re-read youre message. lol sorry.

I dont know hwo to tell if its 75% now as I didnt measure the gravity in the beginning.

When placing in the secondary should I be filtering the crap through a cheese cloth?

Im not sure why a secondary is helping..

Secondary gives the cider (or whatever you are making) time to clear and time to age. When you move to secondary, you should be able to siphon around whatever "crap" is in the primary. Leave the yeast cake behind.

By clearing you mean the junk that settles to the bottom of the fermenter?

OK, so it wont clear as fast in primary? k.......

I think ill have to put it into the secondary in a few days then.:mug:

Put your cider in secondary for a few weeks at least - not days. Then bottle and age it for a few months. It'll taste much better that way.

I meant to say I will place it into the secondary in the next couple of days as the bubbling has almost stopped.

Ill leave it in there for about 3 weeks and then bottle it for another 3 weeks and try it.:tank:

britishbloke said:
I meant to say I will place it into the secondary in the next couple of days as the bubbling has almost stopped.

Ill leave it in there for about 3 weeks and then bottle it for another 3 weeks and try it.:tank:
My bad old boy, I misread your post about time in secondary! :eek:
Definately give it 3 weeks in secondary however after just 3 weeks in bottles your cider will be pretty raw, better if you can leave it for 3 months before trying it.

Back