Sanitation of a sight tube in a boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I was thinking about this as i have been planning my keggle. When you have some wort in the site glass how do you know that wort is sanatized by boiling? Can't the wort in the site glass stay cooler than needed to sanatize it? then when you drain the BK it can flow back in a contaminate things? Maby its just paranoia

It's just paranoia :) That wort is going to be within one or two degrees of what is in the brew kettle. As it cools in the sight glass, it will be replaced with warmer wort.

I just blow the wort out of the tube a few times during the boil. I use a little compressed air. But its most likely not needed

It's just paranoia :) That wort is going to be within one or two degrees of what is in the brew kettle. As it cools in the sight glass, it will be replaced with warmer wort.

+100000 to this.

Even if that tiny bit of wort in the glass is not 212 degrees it will be above pasturization temps for the complete length of time of the boil. So don't sweat it.

I know at the height of a rolling boil, my sight glass is very active and appears to be boiling right along with the rest of the kettle. I wouldn't worry about it.

I suppose you're chilling in place with an IC right? If you're using a CFC or plate chiller, it wouldn't matter because that wort would integrate with the boil temp stuff as it drains. In any case, I'm sure it gets over 160F for a good long time anyway, plenty of time to kill anything in there. You could blow that wort into the kettle just as it approaches boil temp and it will be replaced by high temp wort as Springer mentioned.

Back